I am a Victorian Soul, who lives in a small townhouse that was built in the mid 1970's, not a huge Mega Mansion!! I just recently lost my Hubby Joe, who was a Retired Letter Carrier. I worked night shift as an RN on a Hospital based Rehabilitation( Physical Medicine) Unit for 37 years before I had Knee Replacement Surgery and officially Retired in 2019 after 41 years working in Direct Patient Care ... I am so glad that we retired at 62 years of age and got to spend that time together before he passed....I still do love Retirement!!!!

I DABBLE IN A BIT OF THIS AND THAT!!!!

" IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN"
George Eliot
George Eliot was actually a pen name for a woman named Mary Anne Evans......

BLOGGING FOR FUN AND FRIENDSHIP!!!!!!

Thursday, August 29, 2024

A Bit of Americana with a Touch of English Country in the Den, Part 1, 2024


 

 

 

 

 Welcome to Debbie-Dabble Blog!!

 
I am so happy you decided to stop by!!
 
Blogging has always been a stress reliever for me along with an avenue to share my passions which are my home and my garden.....
 
  Joe would want me to continue doing what I love to do so with that being said.....
 
I am going to start posting again on a regular schedule.....

I will be posting on MONDAYS and THURSDAYS....

And when I can, I will add a Saturday Snippets post on SATURDAYS... 


As always, click on each picture if you would like to enlarge it....
 
 
 PINTEREST
 
If you would like to Pin my pictures, please click on them to enlarge them to do so....
 
 
 A NOTE ABOUT COMMENTS
 
I enjoy reading your comments and will return the favor by visiting and commenting on your blog or reply to you directly here if you do not have a blog but I do have my comment section set to Moderation due to spammers and hackers so your comment will not appear immediately...
And since I have a very busy life, like most of us do, it may take me awhile to return your comments but I promise I will....
 
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 In my last post, I shared the China Cupboard and the surrounding area decorated for Summer in an Americana theme with red and blue transferware......

 

 

 


 Click HERE if you missed that post!! 

 

I usually only share my Den when it is decorated for Christmas and then for the Winter......

Today, I am going to be sharing half of the Den which is decorated with a bit of Americana with some English Country thrown in for good measure......

 When I was a child, I read books about England and fell in love with the English Tudor Country style and this room is decorated more in that style than the rest of the house which pays homage to the Victorian Era....

This area of the Den was once one half of a large storage room......

When my Dad made what used to be a Patio into another room, which I called the Den ( again an English Den) I had him remove the wall and door into the storage room to enlarge the newly constructed Den, making it 8' by 20'......

That wall and door originally ran straight across to the left of what used to be my back door and is now the entrance into the Den.....

I had my Dad take off that back door....

You may remember that I recently reorganized what is left of that storage room......

My Dad moved the door over and created this small wall and that is now the entrance into my storage room......

The picture on the wall is of Joe's maternal grandparents on their Wedding day....

I leave this mail box up year round and added 2 tea stained flags to the arrangement....

I made the wreath that hangs on the door to the storage room.....


 I hung a sign from the wreath that Joe bought on Clearance in Big Lot's a few years back at 90% off.....

 I bought the mirror tiles at a yard sale that I glued to this door and I had every intention of cutting molding to put over the seams to create a french door look......

That is actually still on my To Do List.....

This is the door to a pantry closet that I had my Dad build for me.......

This area was always my little sitting area......

When I would come home from work, if I did not go out shopping, I would sit here and work on blog posts and watch Good Morning America and go to bed about 9:30 am.....

Once I retired, I would sit here and watch TV in the evenings when Joe would be watching his Hockey games or Steeler's football.....

Truth be told, I stopped sitting here when Joe became ill and I have not sat out here since then.....

I elected not to put the air conditioner in the window here in the Den which explains why as it was just too hot this Summer to do so.....

I will be sitting back here a lot more once it gets cooler...... 

On the corner, I hung some Thomas Kinkade prints that I framed.....

Above the TV......

Home and Garden Party pictures and Home Interiors figurines.....

A Thomas Kinkade cup and saucer......

And another one.....

I do have most of my Thomas Kinkade items out in this room.....

 
On a solid oak reproduction Ice Chest, that I bought at an estate sale for $15, is where I have a 32" TV....
 
 
 
The reproduction Ice Chests sell for over $200- $300 on EBay....
 
 
 
Joe and I carried it up rickety wooden steps from a basement where it was used for storage....
 
I store Seasonal dishes in it....

Recently, my son Joey hooked up my DVD player out here so I can watch movies from quite a vast movie collection I have.....

In the corner......

My Dad built around the electrical box and what used to be the old phone box for  the land line.....

 One of the things I have to do is have an Electrician replace the outdated and "outlawed" Federal Pacific electrical box.....

I plan on doing that this Fall....

I may then have to find someone to finish this area off as it is no longer in a storage room....

On a table Joe bought at a church flea market for $6 that I refinished.....

More Home Interiors figurines and a vintage ruby glass candy dish.....

A Lenox candle holder that was gifted to me and a blue transferware tea cup.....

I forgot to mention that the color theme of this room is blue, burgundy and ivory......

 This room was originally paneled and I painted it first with Kilz before I painted it in blue and tan and we added a chair rail....

 Remember this basket that I bought for $1.00 at the church Flea Market that I went to recently......


Perfect for keeping my stuff in....


 I ordered the blue and burgundy wood like wallpaper border, that I hung around the ceiling, on Ebay many years ago.....

Above the chair.....

On a shelf that has a vintage hand made scarf on it.....
 
 
 
A picture of my Mother as a child.....

 The house plates and bookends were bought at yard sales....

A Home and Garden Party picture....

 

A picture of my maternal Grandmother as a teenager, tassel Victorian dolls and a vintage ruby glass candle holder on the shelf..........

 
The 2 wing chairs and ottoman were made by England, which is a division of Lazy Boy, and were special order as I picked out the fabric that I wanted them made in almost 20 years ago....

 
 You only get what you pay for because they have held up quite well!!
 
Decorating magazines on a wood basket that Joe bought for me from the Amish Farmer that ets up stands in the Mall parking lot down the street.........

 
Dog leashes for my grand pups and a hat I wear for gardening hang by the door....
 

The back door which I painted blue many years ago......

Another sign, that Joe bought for 90% off, hanging on the valance......

A vintage basket that was my late neighbor Elly's, that I tucked 2 tea stained flags into, hangs on the door.......



And this is where I will leave off for today......
 

In my next post on SATURDAY, I will finish up my Tour of the Den, sharing the other half of the room decorated with a bit of Americana with a touch of English Country.....

So I hope you will stop by to visit again on SATURDAY.....  
 
 
 Stay safe, healthy and most of all, HAPPY!!

Thanks to those who took the time out of their busy day to spend a little bit of time with me!!

If you do not have a blog, PLEASE  give me some way to reply to your comment, maybe by including your email in your comment.  If I can not find a way to reach you, I will reply on the post where you commented so please check back......


I am linking up to these parties:
   
 
 

    Please take some time to visit these terrific hosts and all those joining in on the fun!
 

14 comments:

  1. Good morning, Debbie -- I love the English Country style of decorating -- so cozy. My husband and I visited England several years ago and going through the countryside was my favorite part of the trip. I subscribed to the British version of House Beautiful magazine for a few years.

    One question: From the way your chair is setting in relation to the tv, it looks like you would have to turn your head to the side to watch tv -- not a comfortable position.

    Enjoy the rest of your day -- best wishes always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I will answer your "question" even though it was really a statement and NOT a question....The thought never ever occurred to me over the last 25-30 years so I guess it has never ever bothered me, nor Jimmy,who used to sit that way to play videos games there when he lived at home nor Joe, who would have his morning coffee there while watching TV before he went to work prior to retirement.....So I guess it actually is a comfortable position as none of us even gave it a second thought....To each there own....
    Have a wonderful day now!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie..your home is lovely! I don't comment often but I really enjoy your blog. Thank you for sharing!
    Barb Boyack

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an assumption to make regarding the placement of a chair in your home. She sounds like a kook. Everything looks beautiful to me. I am so ready for Fall and cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I have had this problem with this person for some time now and had to block emails from her. She then took to commenting on the blog which I allowed but that is now finished because I have had enough....Thank you for your kind comments and for taking the time to stop by!! I truly appreciate it..
      Hugs,
      Deb

      Delete
  5. Barb,
    Glad to hear that you enjoy my Blog and thanks for taking the time to comment....Also glad that we are friends on Face book too!! Enjoy the Holiday weekend, my friend!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cozy room...I love the photos of relatives. Such a nice way to see past generations. Have a great Labor Day Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, excuse me for saying "question" rather than "statement." If I corrected all of your grammatical errors, it would fill a page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I am not a high school or college student...At 66 years old, I do not require someone to correct my "grammatical" errors or to continue to make snarky remarks about my decorating and my house so I would greatly appreciate it if you will keep those comments to yourself and stop commenting here... If not, I will not read or publish your comments, Patty, so you will be wasting your time.
      Deb

      Delete
  8. Sorry -- that was rude of me to mention grammatical errors in your blog. I apologize.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, Patty, it was very rude of you and apparently you never heard the saying "if you do not have anything nice to say then do not say anything at all"....This has continued for quite some time with you and your snarky comments about everything I do and I have had enough so please do not comment here or email me anymore.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cozy space. I love all those Kinkaid prints; I find his art work so soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love that you have the wedding portrait of Joe's grandparents there. It's a beautiful piece and so very meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your cozy comfy room with Americana and English country. Nothing prettier I don't think than a flickering candle shining through ruby colored glass like the one you have sitting on your shelf.
    Love your family pictures as I need to put my family pictures back in my lounge room downstairs now that I see yours and reminded me of it.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to read your comments and opinions!!
I will try to respond to your comment as quickly as I can either on your Blog, through an email address or here on the posts where you commented if I cannot find any other way to contact you!!
If you are a vendor and insist upon leaving a comment with a link back to a website, it will be deleted immediately as I check my comment several times a day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...