I am a Victorian Soul, live in a small townhouse that was built in the mid 1970's, not a huge Mega Mansion, with my Hubby Joe, who is a Retired Letter Carrier. I worked night shift as an RN on a Hospital based Rehabilitation( Physical Medicine) Unit for 37 years before I had Knee Replacement Surgery and officially Retired in 2019 after 41 years working in Direct Patient Care ... I am LOVING Retirement!!!!

I DABBLE IN A BIT OF THIS AND THAT!!!!

" IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN"
George Eliot
George Eliot was actually a pen name for a woman named Mary Anne Evans......

BLOGGING FOR FUN AND FRIENDSHIP!!!!!!

Saturday, April 14, 2018

A Tribute to a Special Lady

Welcome!!

Once again, I am not doing the type of post that I usually do......

A very SPECIAL Lady passed away this week........

Our dear friend and neighbor, Elly, passed away at the age of 90 years old.......

If you follow my blogs, you may have heard me mention that Joe and I have been caring for my neighbor Elly's house while she had been in a Nursing Home due to Alzheimer's disease.......
Elly's sons both live away so we stepped in to take care of her home in her absence.......

It was the least that we could do for someone who was very important to us and for someone who truly shaped me into the person that I am today.......

They say "Friends are the Family We Choose for Ourselves"
Elly was like a member of our family .........

We became neighbors over 35 years ago.........
She lived only 3 houses down from us........

Originally, she spent her Winters in Miami with her second husband who was an International Stock Broker and she would leave him there and spent her Summers here.....

When he passed away, she resided here year round........

As I continue, I will be showcasing some of the things that I have from Elly's home as her sons told me to take what I wanted since we were caring for home........

In fact, her sons told us to sell most of her furniture, which several neighbor's bought, and then to let neighbor's take what they wanted from the house.....
Her phone in the Kitchen now graces my Kitchen

It is because of Elly that I developed a love for antiques as her home was filled with them......
A vintage Clorox Bleach bottle........
A tin and one of many vintage canning jars on my shelf in the Kitchen

It is because of her that I started to go to Yard Sales, Estate Sales and Thrift Shops!

She was going to Salvation Army looking for treasures over 50 years ago when it was frowned on to go to such a place!!!!
Her lamp now on my Kitchen counter

She truly loved going to "Sally's" as she lovingly called it......

 We would go to Yard sales together and have a wonderful time!!

When our local Red Lobster was remodeling, they had a "Yard Sale" in the parking lot and Elly and I went together to see what kind of treasures we could find......

We both came home with this sign.....
 We paid $5.00 for each of the signs!!

I transformed Elly's sign into a Chalkboard sign......
 In my Dining Room for Halloween!!

It is because of Elly that my Kitchen is red because she had red in her kitchen and I loved it!!

She loved magazines like Country Living and Country Home and copied the decorating ideas in her own home......
 A basket of hers that I did a floral arrangement in.....

One idea that I got from her was how to make the windows in our townhouse look larger......

 We have small windows.......
When I saw her window treatment in her Living Room........
  Where she hung drapes actually on the wall to make the window look larger, I knew I would have to do the same!!!

This is my Living Room window where I put up the curtain rods at least 18 inches on each side away from the actual window, creating the illusion of a larger window.......
 I did the same thing in my bedroom with the 2 windows in that room.......

I had never met anyone like this!!

My Mother regarded antiques and vintage items as just plain "old" things and she liked new things.....

She also thought of everything as "Dust Catchers" so Elly's style of decor in her home was amazing to me!!!

She decorated for every Season and Holiday and had numerous Collections!!!

And she continued to decorate and buy things for her home well into her late 70's and early 80's until Alzheimer's began to affect her mind......

3 of my most prized possessions are these 3 curios........

The first 2 are in my Dining Room but they were in her bedroom......
She worshiped Marilyn Monroe and had an extensive collection of Marilyn Monroe items!!
 She bought these curios when she was in her late 70's and in her bedroom, had them filled with vintage jewelry, hair combs, evening bags and shoes and gloves, paying homage to the Hollywood Era of the late 40's and 50's!!!

Even though these curios are now in my Dining Room, I was inspired by how Elly had used them in her bedroom......

A few years ago, I decided to do something similar in my Powder Room......
 These are current photos of my Powder Room.....
 The purses and vintage hair combs are the same ones that Elly had on display in her bedroom.....
 She also had this curio in a corner of her Living Room , filled with her Marilyn Monroe collection.....
 It now brightens up my upstairs Sitting Room now filled with some of my mother's yellow depression glass and some of my angel collection......

She was our dog sitter when we used to go on vacation.......
All we had to do was mention to our Savanna and Cassie that they were going to Elly's and they would run down the side walk to her door where they slept with her in her bed and she fed them homemade spaghetti that she made especially for them!!!
A photo of Cassie and Savanna that a Blogger friend gifted to me!!

She also baby sat our sons on occasion and she treated them as if they were her own grandsons always having a gift for them at Christmas!!

It was Elly who fostered my love of gardening and perrenials.....

One of my favorite items that she gifted me is this garden sign......
 In the Summer she was always outside gardening, planting perennials that she took from a friend's yard or creating a rock garden!

It is because of her that I decided to turn our back yard into one large flower garden!!
 The market umbrella was Elly's
This baker's rack was also Elly's

She also loved to spray paint things and if you have followed my Blog, you know that I say that Joe often calls me that "Queen of Spray Paint"!

That also came from Elly!!

She was forever in her infamous white tee shirts with jeans or jean shorts!!

She acted unlike any Senior Citizen I ever knew!!!

She would lay out in the Sun in her bikini well into her 70's looking better than I ever did!!

She always drove a red Sports Car and wore leather pants and a fur jacket vest in the Winter with high heel boots!!!

I always said she was the Coolest Senior Citizen that I ever met!!!

Now I would call her a bit of a hoarder because she loved to shop and could not resist buying items on sale "Just in case someone might need them someday"

If I ever need something I would go to Elly and ask her if she had it ...

She would say "Give me a minute" and then return with exactly what I was looking for!!

She was extremely organized with everything labels, boxed and organized!!!

I also learned this from her.......
My Craft Room

I felt that I was so drawn to her because we seemed to be kindred souls having both been born in January with our birthdays only a few days apart!

She was kind, generous and was always looking out for other people!

She also was a Strong Woman, having been a single Mother raising 2 sons while working full time in a factory after her divorce from her first husband....

That was another thing that we had in common....we both had 2 sons!!

As I mentioned before, She lived in Miami in the Winter while married to her 2nd husband.....

While in Miami, she walked the beach and collected tubs of shells which her sons were going to throw out!!
 I took them and last Summer I created an "Under the Sea" theme in my Living Room for late Summer....

I made ornaments from those shells......
 And other crafted items from shells.....
 I decorated my "Under the Sea" Tree.....
 And underneath the Tree.......
 With those shells that she lovingly picked on the beach in Miami.......
 I honestly would not be the person I am today if not for my friendship with Elly!
 Elly had fallen and broke her hip and after that, she never returned home to live alone....

She lived for a few years with a local family member until that family member passed away.....

One of the greatest gifts she gave to Joe and I was on the last day that we saw her.

It was the day that her son was taking her to an Alzheimer's Facility to live by him near Phila.

Joe and I went over to say Good Bye and she recognized us and knew who we were when she did not even recognize her own son......

I will be forever grateful for that........

She truly was a wonderful beautiful Lady......

 This is Elly's Wedding Picture when she married her first husband.......
Stunning, wasn't she?

I never realized how much Elly influenced my life until I started writing this post.....

Now I am even sadder for her loss!!

But unfortunately, we lost her several years ago when Alzheimer's took her away from those who loved her.......
What a terrible disease it is!!

We will miss her and I will never forget her and how she helped me to become the person I am today!!!!
 I hope you will be back to visit again soon.......

And thanks to those who took the time out of their busy day to spend a little bit of time with me!!

If you do not have a blog, PLEASE  give me some way to reply to your comment, maybe by including your email in your comment.  If I can not find a way to reach you, I will reply on the post where you commented so please check back......
  I am linking up to these parties:

SUNDAY
Snickerdoodle Sunday
Bouquet of Talent Linky Party
 Sundays at Home
 Silver Pennies Sunday
 Happiness is Homemade Linky Party
Nifty Thrifty Sunday
The Fabulous Party

 MONDAY 
Inspire Me Monday
Inspiration Mondays
 Dishing It and Digging It Link Party
Busy Monday
What'd You Do This Weekend?
Cooking and Crafting with J & J
Metamorphosis Monday
 Celebrate Your Story Monday Night Link Party!
Make It Pretty Monday
 Lou Lou Girl's Linky Party

 TUESDAY
Show and Share Party
 Tuesdays At Our Home
Inspire Me Tuesdays
Reader Tip Tuesday Party
Keep in Touch Party

Ducks in a Row Wonderful Wednesdays Blog Hop
Wow Us Wednesday
Sizzle into Summer Party
Talk of the Town Party
Party in Your PJ's
Dream Create Inspire Link
 Dagmar's Home Linky Party 
 Waste Not Wednesday
Style Showcase

THURSDAY
Home and Garden Party Thursday
 Share Your Cup Thursday
Share Your Style Thursday Link Up Party
Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop 
  Inspired Creations Linky Party
Vintage Charm
 Grace at Home Party
Create and Celebrate Blog Party

FRIDAY
Friday Features Linky Party
  Feathered Nest Friday
 Funtastic Friday
 Friday Favorites
   Awesome Life Friday
 Home Matters Linky Party
 What To Do Weekends
   Flaunt It Fridays
  Sweet Inspirations Link Party

 SATURDAY
 Saturday Sparks
 Pink Saturday-Anything Goes!!
Best of the Weekend Party
Share It One More Time Inspiration Party

Please take some time to visit these terrific hosts and all those joining in on the fun!

41 comments:

  1. What an incredibly beautiful tribute to this great lady. Your love and admiration shines here for all who reads it! So glad that you have some of her things, not that you will ever forget her, it's just good to have something that you both loved, if that makes sense. My mother in law just died recently in England and she had some dear neighbors/friends. I am so grateful she had them! I bet the two sons of your test lady feel the same about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was supposed to say great lady. Sorry typing on tablet. I am old and can't see it well. 😯

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH Debbie, what an amazing friendship for both of you.Sending you love! laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful lady, and what a loving tribute to your friend, Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have brought Elly to life here on your pages! This is a wonderful tribute to your dear friend. In reading your words, it brought back memories of some dear older friends I have been fortunate to know. Thank you so much for reminding me that older friends are such treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful memories, Deb. She certainly was a beautiful bride and I imagine she would be so happy that the things she must have loved so much are being loved by you now..Have a wonderful weekend..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  7. A nice memorial you have written for her. Beautiful memories. I love seashells also and you have fine collection of them. She was a beautiful bride and beautiful as she aged too.
    betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for your loss. Elly sounds like a wonderful person. This was a beautiful tribute to her. Mary (masteinbrink(at)msn(dot)com)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear this, Deb. I was so touched by your tribute. It is true that we never know how much someone impacts our lives until they are no longer here. My Dad had Alzheimer's. It really robs you of precious years and sweet memories shared. I'm glad that you were able to help out the family and that you have some dear mementos of your friendship. Take care xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an incredible lady Elly was! I am sorry to hear she has passed but happy you have so many wonderful memories of her. You wrote a lovely tribute to her and it sounds to me like she has been a gift to you and your family. These days gifts like her can be rare because everyone is so busy. Those treasures from her home will hold even more special meaning for you. She was a beautiful soul inside and out. Thank you for sharing and you take care, my friend! Hugs...Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh dear! what a lovely friendship.. you are so blessed that you got such an amazing friend.. XOXO..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a precious tribute for a cherished friend. Your house is amazing! I share your love of old/vintage/used/sentimental treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      Thanks so much for stopping by!! I could not find any other way respond to your kind comment so I am responding here..
      Hugs,
      Deb

      Delete
  13. Elly was an amazing person and you were certainly blessed to have had her in your life. Your tribute was so special.....hugs....

    ReplyDelete
  14. She sounds like she was an amazing person and I love how she never "acted her age"...I hope I am like that-except you won't catch me outside in a bikini....lol. I am so sorry that she had Alzheimer's. It is such a devastating disease-a robber of the soul as well as whatever else it takes from you.

    You got some beautiful pieces and I am sure Elly would be proud to know that you have memories of her tucked into your home as well as into your heart. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was a beautiful tribute to an amazing lady. I imagine she must be really delighted to have her things treasured so lovingly by a wonderful friend like you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry for your loss, she sounds like she was an amazing women. That is great her sons allowed you to have some of her things that you will always remember her by. So special to have had that relationship with her, and I am sure you will always remember her.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Friends can certainly impact our lives in important ways. I hope her sons got to see and enjoy your tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so sorry for Your loss. Wonderful memories.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful tribute to such a special friend. My 90+ year old grandmother passed away a year ago and when she moved into the nursing home (also from Alzheimer's) I happened to be on vacation with my family. My father and aunt cleaned out the house (as I knew they needed to) and I always was so sad that I missed the chance to go through and take those things that meant something special to me-- things that were mostly tossed or given away... I do have many mementos of hers that they set aside and they mean so much to me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a blessing to have such a good friend that you loved so much...and visa versa. I know she would be so happy to know you are enjoying some of the things she also loved.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is so nice that you had a neighbor and friend that was so special and influenced your life like that Debbie. What a beautiful tribute this post was to her. I love the shell ornaments that you made for the tree.
    Thanks for sharing this at our Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
    Have a nice week
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful neighbor and friend. My sympathy and prayers to you and her family. I am glad she contributed so much to the person you were able to become because of her. I, too, cherish things that belonged to "family" members whether blood relatives or not. Sounds nonsensical to those who are not sentimental; I feel sorry for those people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by and for taking the time to comment!! Once again, I could not find any other way to get in touch with you so I am responding here!
      Hugs,
      Debbie

      Delete
  23. I loved reading your story about Elly, so many wonderful memories & pictures. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by and for taking the time to comment!! I could not get in touch with you any other way but here.....
      Hugs,
      Debbie

      Delete
  24. Such a sweet tribute to Elly. She clearly was a wonderful friend and neighbor. I am sure both of your lives were enriched by your friendship. I am so glad her sons recognized that and were so generous with you and the other neighbors. You all are obviously a close knit community. This is such a heartwarming tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a sweet tribute to your neighbor, Debbie! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What memories you have, and what joy having some of Elly's special mementos will bring you and Elly's neighbours. I love that quote 'you are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with' Jim Rohn Any of us would have been pleased to have had an Elly amongst the five! You recognising that you would not be the person you are today without Elly, and this tribute post is really beautiful. May she rest in peace.
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sorry to hear about your friend Debbie. Such a lovely tribute to her. Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
  28. It is obvious that Elly was an amazing woman and was loved dearly. Thanks for sharing at #HomeMattersParty

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a glorious tribute to Elly. She was a gorgeous soul. Thanks for that heart-warming story.
    How lucky you were to have her as a neighbour!
    Love,
    Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a lovely post to your friend, Debbie. I am sorry for your loss but she seemed to have had a good life with great neighbors :). Thanks for sharing at Party in Your PJs!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nice of you to write such a loving text from your dear friend.
    True friends must really inspire us.
    I used the translator to write to you. I'm from Brazil.
    Nice to meet you.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  32. Debbie, I'm really touched by your tribute to Elly. She sounds like quite a gal, and is an inspiration to anyone who's a senior to not be old, or act old. Such a tragedy to have her life overtaken by Alzheimer's. I got a chuckle out of your dog's reaction, and to her feeding them special dog spaghetti. That wedding picture is indeed stunning. It caught my eye first thing. Such a great trick about the windows too. You really learned a lot from her. She would be blessed to read this tribute from you. How wonderful that her son's let you take what you wanted from her home! Those vintage purses and hair combs have me swooning, I tell ya! A great post Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm so sorry very Debbie. You've spoken to often of Elly in your posts and she sounds like an amazing lady who left her mark on a lot of people's lives. Mine included after reading your beautiful post in memory of your friend and I bet Cassie and Savanna jumped for joy when they saw her again. Sending love and hugs as always

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is such a beautiful and loving tribute to your Elly. She must be smiling from Heaven. Thank you for sharing, and for always making Pink Saturdays special.

    This post is being featured in my Pink Saturday post this week as "the lone with the most clicks".♥

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh what a nice sweet post about Elly. I am so glad you got so many of the things she loved.
    It is very sad I know when we don't have our wonderful neighbor friends any longer.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. She sounds like an amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete
  37. How special to have all these mementos of her! I like my items to have a story of people I love, too. All of your shell creations are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Such a heartwarming post. It was so lovely to get to know Elly through this post of yours. She lives in your heart and in your home, through all the memories that you have of her and the stuff of hers that you've so lovingly placed in your house.
    Alzheimer's is a terrible disease and it is indeed a special gift that she recognized you when you went to say goodbye.

    And I must add that each and every one of your shell creations are incredible. I have seen a lot of shell crafts, but nothing compared to yours!! God Bless

    ReplyDelete

I always love to read your comments and opinions!!
I will try to respond to your comment as quickly as I can either on your Blog, through an email address or here on the posts where you commented if I cannot find any other way to contact you!!
If you are a vendor and insist upon leaving a comment with a link back to a website, it will be deleted immediately as I check my comment several times a day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...