I am a Victorian Soul, who lives in a small townhouse that was built in the mid 1970's, not a huge Mega Mansion!! I just recently lost my Hubby Joe, who was a Retired Letter Carrier. I worked night shift as an RN on a Hospital based Rehabilitation( Physical Medicine) Unit for 37 years before I had Knee Replacement Surgery and officially Retired in 2019 after 41 years working in Direct Patient Care ... I am so glad that we retired at 62 years of age and got to spend that time together before he passed....I still do love Retirement!!!!

I DABBLE IN A BIT OF THIS AND THAT!!!!

" IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN"
George Eliot
George Eliot was actually a pen name for a woman named Mary Anne Evans......

BLOGGING FOR FUN AND FRIENDSHIP!!!!!!

Friday, June 16, 2023

A Colorful Summer Patio, Part 2 , Bed and Breakfast Series, 2023

 

 

 

 


 Welcome to Debbie-Dabble Blog!!

 
I am so happy you decided to stop by!!
 
 
I am now posting TWICE  a week !!!
 
 I will be posting on MONDAY and FRIDAY!
 
 
As always, click on each picture if you would like to enlarge it....
 
 
 Today, I will be sharing Part 2 of my Colorful Summer Patio.....

 
In my last post, I shared Part 1 of my Colorful Summer Patio now that I planted all my annuals for the Summer......

 

Click HERE if you missed that post!!

 
 Thanks Dee, over at Grammy's Grid, for choosing my post, Celebrating Our Country's Birthday, as one of her features from the last Unlimited Linky Party!!
 
 
Please Stop by and link up to this lovely party.....
 
 

And now for a few Personal Notes...
 
 

The big happenings this week have been that they are paving our main road....


I think this is only the second time in the 46 years we have lived here....

On Monday, they graded it and what an operation that was....
 
They used this vehicle with this roller to rip up the old black top....
 

 
 Then this monster of a machine picks up the old black top......
 

 
 And shot it into dump truck after dump truck......
 
 
 
 This guy used a jack hammer around the drains and manholes and then swept the debris into the middle to be picked up.....
 

 
 Kept Joe busty all morning watching them from the porch and then going down to the road and talking with the guys about the process.....

Beats him sitting on the sofa all day watching countless reruns of Law and Order and Without a Trace ( his new addiction).....

On Thursday, they came back and put the first coat of black top down......








 
They took no breaks and worked like a well oiled machine....
 
No pun intended....


So nice and smooth now....

They will be finishing it up on Monday , depending on if it rains......


After they left on Monday, we got 1 1/2 inches of some much needed rain overnight into Tuesday.....



I have not needed to water my flowers since Sunday!!
 
We also got a 1/2 inch of rain on Wednesday and are getting more rain today!!!!
 
It should help with our Drought situation....
 


Tuesday, I went for my monthly hair cut.....

The girl that has been doing my hair for the last 30 years, recommended something to me as we both suffer during the Summer from the Heat and Humidity....

Her step Dad has his own Lawn Care Business and bought this on Amazon to help keep him cool in the Summer...


He had her try it out and she loved it.....

It helped keep her cool and helped her with her allergies and asthma which flare up in the heat...

So I went home and had my son Joey order it for me since I do not have an Amazon Account....

Yep!

You can get up from the floor now....

I actually am NOT a fan of Amazon as I find a lot of their items over priced so I guess I will never be an Amazon Associate Blogger!!

LOL!



My great niece Caitlin told me that she has a similar one and has used it at amusement parks, at Disney World and on walks.....

Looking forward to using it on my walks and when gardening and hoping it allows me to sit out in my Patio and on the front porch more this Summer..........


It was the 5th anniversary earlier this week of when an EF2 Tornado destroyed most of the shopping centers on the side of our development at 10 pm at night and narrowly missed plowing through our townhouse development.....
 
 
 
That was one of the most surreal experiences of my life....
 

 
 I remember standing with a small group of people on a hill behind OutBack Steakhouse looking down at the Arena Hub which was a sea of red lights from Emergency vehicles...
 
 
 
The smell of gas was thick in the air...
 
 
 
You could hear EMS on bull horns , yelling "All Clear" as they checked each destroyed building, looking for anyone injured...
 
 
 
My son and my husband were able to drive down Mundy St., the road leading to the shopping district, before all Emergency personal arrived....
 
My son Joey was on the phone with me screaming that the front of Kurlanchick's, a locally own furniture store, was gone and that U Haul It trucks were all over the street...
 
 
 
They came home to get me but by then, the road was blocked off so we climbed that hill in Wilkeswood apartments, where both my sons live, looking down at something that I never thought I would ever see....
 

 
 This is a picture of the path the tornado took....
 
 
The yellow X in the picture to the right is my row of townhouses...
 
You can see that if it did not veer to the right and hit Dick's, it would have come straight thru the parking lot, hitting Lowes and our development....
 
I shudder to this day to think what would have happened if it did....
 
Everyone says that we were lucky it came late when the stores were closed as very few people only had minor injuries but few realize how close it came to hitting my development and WilkesWood Apartments, a pretty heavily populated area....
 
Click HERE if you would like to see the Blog Post I did on the destruction left behind from this very rare tornado here in NEPA.....
 
 

I always say that in my 40's, when all my multiple Medical issues started to rear their ugly heads, I knew that my days of traveling for any distance were over....

So I decided that since I loved the Victorian Era so much that I would turn my 1970's built townhouse into the Victorian Bed and Breakfast that I would love to stay at if I was able to continue to travel....
 
This concept worked so well that now that I am retired, I seldom want to leave my own little Victorian Bed and Breakfast that I created for myself.... 

Because I feel I am now on vacation every single day!!
 
Last Year, I started a Series of posts that I called My Bed and Breakfast Series...
 
 
The posts were on my Dining Room and on the upstairs Sitting Room... 

Today, I will be continuing the Bed and Breakfast Series because after all, what Victorian Bed and Breakfast doesn't have a charming patio and gardens for their guests to enjoy, right???


As I previously mentioned, I shared one area of my Patio in my last post.....


 
 
Today, I will be sharing the rest of the Patio.....



I used to call this Joe's area because this is where he usually sat but he seldom ever comes out here to sit anymore so this is more of the utilitarian area of the Patio.....


I do sometimes sit here in the morning with a cup of coffee for a different view of the yard....


We will start at the back door.....

 
I always loved French doors but had no place for one inside the house so I opted for a storm door in that design.....

 
And it matched the windows with the mullions in....

The wreath on the back door.....





I decorated the walls of the Patio like I do the walls inside my house.....




I bought the mirror at a yard sale a few years back for $5.....



A few years ago, we bought this storage chest which matches the color of the chairs....



It also makes a nice table......





I planted 4 impatiens in this hanging pot.....

 
On a plant stand next to the storage chest....
 
 

I planted 2 marigolds in this pot....


Above the electrical meter box....



My Potting Stand.....

This was a baker's rack that my late neighbor Elly had in her house.....

I painted it pink....

I hung garden tools and a sprinkler on the sides....

On the top shelf.....

"I have to go sprinkle" sign......

I replaced the wood shelf with a plexiglass one that we had made to fit.....

I use the squeegee to clean water and dirt off the plexiglass as this is not under the awning......

On the bottom shelves.....

I have kept potting soil in this enamelware pot for a few years now....

This year, I decided to use these vintage enamelware pots to store some red rocks and sand in......

When I buy some letter stickers, I will label them like the pot.....


I use this vintage watering can to water my flowers....


On the side of the potting stand is a vintage milk box that my neighbor gave me when she moved....


I store boxes of seeds and other garden things in it.....
 
 
 
 This area is new this year......
 
Last year, when I extended the other part of the patio, I did this section too....


In the Spring, I extended it even more.....


 Making it a square area......

I moved the wrought iron Bistro set over to this area.....


 
 The larger area allowed me to move the galvanized tub that holds a Gnome Garden over by the potted Alberta Spruce....


I recently painted these Gnomes and sprayed them with a sealer....

  
 
 One of the locally owned grocery stores, Malacari's, was clearing out their seasonal flowers last week....

I bought this patio pot of New Guinea Impatiens for only $5....


I have used the chairs to this set as plant stands before so I placed it on one of the chairs....



 

On the table.....
 

 
 I planted one impatien in the smaller pot and a salvia plant in the other one......
 
 
 Marigold seeds are planted in one pot and I planted zinnia seeds in the other, which are starting to grow....


I also bought this hanging basket at the Clearance sale for $5....


I removed the hanger from it....


And placed it on the other chair....








 I did buy another hanging basket for $5....


 
After taking the hanger off it, this is where I put it....

  
I hope you enjoyed seeing my Colorful Summer Patio as it is decorated in a more whimsical theme than our front porch is.......




  
 
 
 
 In future posts, I will be sharing my Cottage Garden back yard....


As my Missouri primrose are finally starting to bloom.....




But in my next post on MONDAY, I will finish up the tour of my Living Room decorated for the Summer Patriotic Holidays.....



And my 3rd Patriotic Tree....



So I hope you will stop by to visit again on MONDAY!! 
 
 
 Stay safe, healthy and most of all, HAPPY!!

Thanks to those who took the time out of their busy day to spend a little bit of time with me!!

If you do not have a blog, PLEASE  give me some way to reply to your comment, maybe by including your email in your comment.  If I can not find a way to reach you, I will reply on the post where you commented so please check back......


I am linking up to these parties:
 
 
 
  THURSDAY
 
 Please take some time to visit these terrific hosts and all those joining in on the fun!
 




8 comments:

  1. Glad you were safe. We had a possible tornado last night. Here is the Miss Merry saga. First I went to History Happy Hour at a local winery. The local museum had a terrific speaker who displayed her quilts. I took so many photos my phone went dead. We could see lightening through the window and people were getting storm warnings. So my friend and I went to Bob Evans for a late supper. (you can see where this is going). While we were there, people's phones started making noises and blasts. We both ate our breakfast for supper. Then the tornado sirens went off, we could not see out the windows. The employees kindly explained the procedure and safe locations if a tornado came our way. And invited all guests to stay as long as they needed. The rain let up (but not the lightening) so we decided to drive home. We both made it. Our town had about an inch of hail, our gauge has 3.4 inches of rain. The community south of us had trees down, wires down, poles broken, roofs off, barns flattened. It is a mess. A corner hit my son and daughter's community. She lost a huge tree which went through a neighbor's fence, my son has been without power 20 hours now. But I have not heard of any injuries. Huge trees are blocking most roads and streets south of us. The local Mennonites came in late this afternoon to help clear roads, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creating your own B&B is such a wonderful idea, Debbie. Your patio is so inviting and you get to relax in it every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a neat gadget too keep you cool. I would stay at your B&B, and enjoy all the spaces inside and outside. What a terrific tornado that passed through your area 5 years ago, such devastation. We had lots of rain this week, much needed and the gardens loved it. We are thinking about downsizing, been looking at condos. We have a big 4 bedroom house and with my arthritis just can't manage the stairs and gardens any more. Exciting and scary at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie, praise God that you are safe and that there was no damage to your townhome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what terrible devastation Debbie. Thankfully it stayed away from your home, and you are right, at least the businesses were closed to lessen the amount of people injured. Your patio looks great, love the way you added stickers to the pot, I think that is a great idea! Looking forward to see more holiday decor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie, I remember that tornado and how lucky you were that it didn't hit your house and the others. Mother nature is so scary and you are very lucky. I enjoyed looking at how beautiful you have decorated your yard for summer. I do hope you stay cool this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love your part 2 patio Debbie.
    Thanks bunches for sharing this with Sweet Tea & Friends this month dear friend.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to read your comments and opinions!!
I will try to respond to your comment as quickly as I can either on your Blog, through an email address or here on the posts where you commented if I cannot find any other way to contact you!!
If you are a vendor and insist upon leaving a comment with a link back to a website, it will be deleted immediately as I check my comment several times a day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...