I am a Victorian Soul, live in a small townhouse that was built in the mid 1970's, not a huge Mega Mansion, with my Hubby Joe, who is a Retired Letter Carrier. I worked night shift as an RN on a Hospital based Rehabilitation( Physical Medicine) Unit for 37 years before I had Knee Replacement Surgery and officially Retired in 2019 after 41 years working in Direct Patient Care ... I am LOVING Retirement!!!!

I DABBLE IN A BIT OF THIS AND THAT!!!!

" IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN"
George Eliot
George Eliot was actually a pen name for a woman named Mary Anne Evans......

BLOGGING FOR FUN AND FRIENDSHIP!!!!!!

Thursday, June 14, 2018

Tornado Just Missed My Home!!!

  Welcome!!

This is a different post than I intended to do today.......

A Tornado touched down in Wilkes Barre Twp. last night at 10 pm and just missed my home!!!!!

I am so very Thankful to be able to do this post today from a home that is still standing!!!!

Me and all of my family are fine but after having lived through such a narrow miss, I am shaken to my core and so very Thankful to God that no one was hurt and we sustained no damage and are all alive today!!!

This type of thing is RARE in NEPA!!

I am going to be showing some media photos of the destruction.

I have frequently mentioned here on my blog that I live right next to a Mall and several shopping centers....

We live directly behind Lowe's in the Arena Hub Shopping Plaza which suffered extensive damage!!!

This is where all the destruction was and many buildings will be condemned and torn down....

23 businesses have been damaged and many will need to be demolished!

First of all, this is where I live.......

This is an aerial view of the shopping centers right next to my townhouse development!!!

You can see right under the Sky Cam Logo in the top left corner 2 rows of townhouses in my development...

Mine is right under the "ABC" on the logo, directly behind Lowe's!
It blew the side of the building of Barnes and Nobles out and then turned to the right, hitting Dick's Sporting Goods!

The Dick's sign was found 10 miles away in Bear Creek!!!!

To the right of Barnes and Nobles in the front of the photo, you can see that it turned right and took out Dick's Sporting Goods........See the windows blown out in the front of the store?
If it did not turn to the right, it would have gone straight through the Arena Hub parking lot, hit Lowe's and then ran right into our townhouses behind Lowe's!!!

If it turned to the left, it would have hit the apartment complex where my sons live!

You can see now why I am so very thankful to be writing this post today!!

We sustained NO DAMAGE!!

Can you believe it??????

I will now be sharing some Media photos taken last night when the storm hit at 10 pm!!




Photos from Wyoming Valley PA Weather
It hit a U Haul  business!


Photos Courtesy of Bill Barr

This is a strip mall along the entrance road to Wilkes Barre Commons and the Target store where my son Jim and his love, Danielle work!!!!
The entire strip mall is devastated and will most likely have to be torn down!
A piece of the U Haul sign found inside of one of the stores across the way.....
People were trapped in the cooler of Panera Bread where they ran for shelter but all were okay!!

Search dogs were brought in to search for people trapped but none were found!!!

The U Haul Center.........
  On Mundy Street in front of the Wyoming Valley Mall at a Car Dealership....

This is at the entrance to the Wilkes Barre Commons Shopping Center where Target is.......
One of our favorite food places, Stations Grill, is located here......
The side ripped off of Country Junction and Ashley Furniture.....
BUT the Flower Tent where I bought all my annuals is still standing!!!
However, the Port a Potty that was next to the tent is no where to be found!!!

The front of Smokey Bones which is on the other side of Ashley Furniture.....
  Another local furniture store almost leveled!!!
  What it looks like in the light of day.....
   We stood on a hill in the apartment complex where my sons live for 2 hours looking down at the Arena Hub Shopping Center at what looked like a War Zone!!!

 Thanks so ALL the First Responders who came from all over the Wyoming Valley last night and today and maybe for a few more days to help.......

I have frequently said that I can see Barnes and Nobles sign from my bedroom window......
You can see that the back and side is blow out of Barnes and Nobles and all the debris is on Dick's, Micheal's, T.J. Maxx;s and many more store's roofs!!!!!

Joe took these photos looking down from our road this morning.......

The damage at Barnes and Nobles......
 These are storage containers that were tossed around behind Michael's....
 And this is a piece of debris that landed on a car in the parking lot of the row of townhouses directly behind me!!!!!
 These photos are from the Citizen's Voice Newspaper.....
 Workers from Pet Smart took out the animals that were in the store and transported them in their own vehicles.......
 This photo courtesy of WNEP TV
I will admit that I am deeply shaken by all of this, realizing just how close this Tornado came to our home and I can only imagine what damage and destruction would have been done to our townhouse development in light of the fact of how it ripped concrete and brick buildings apart!!!

Today is Flag Day and I am thrilled to be alive and physically able to fly my American flags outside of my house that is still standing.........
Today is a beautiful day and I am so thankful for it!!!!

I hope you will be back to visit again soon.......

And thanks to those who took the time out of their busy day to spend a little bit of time with me!!

If you do not have a blog, PLEASE  give me some way to reply to your comment, maybe by including your email in your comment.  If I can not find a way to reach you, I will reply on the post where you commented so please check back......
  I am linking up to these parties:
 
 SATURDAY
 Saturday Sparks
 Pink Saturday-Anything Goes!!
Best of the Weekend Party
Share It One More Time Inspiration Party


SUNDAY
Snickerdoodle Sunday
Bouquet of Talent Linky Party
 Sundays at Home
 Silver Pennies Sunday
 Happiness is Homemade Linky Party
Nifty Thrifty Sunday
The Fabulous Party

 MONDAY 
Inspire Me Monday
Inspiration Mondays
 Dishing It and Digging It Link Party
Busy Monday
What'd You Do This Weekend?
Cooking and Crafting with J & J
Metamorphosis Monday
 Celebrate Your Story Monday Night Link Party!
Make It Pretty Monday
 Lou Lou Girl's Linky Party
 Make Life Pretty Party


Please take some time to visit these terrific hosts and all those joining in on the fun!

21 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are OK, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that you are safe! Tornado's are so destructive! We had one a few years ago that went down our daughters street and tore up a bunch of houses. It missed her house but did tear down the back yard fence and relocate her above ground pool to a neighbors yard...lol! Again....so glad that you are safe.....hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, So thankful you are safe. I saw this on the news and told my husband I have never heard of tornadoes in that area, ever. It will be a long time getting that cleaned up. Hope there's no more. Praying all effected. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie, I heard about this while I was driving to work today, and I thought of you! It is very rare for your area of the Country to get a tornado...So glad to hear that you and your family are OK! We have tornado sirens in our town, because we get them often in the Summer. And we've twice had trees close to our house felled and just narrowly missing our home. They're nothing to kid about, that's for sure. A tornado that happens after it's dark is the scariest. So glad that you're okay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry you experienced this, but so thankful you're ok. Having lived in "tornado alley" in the past, I know how frightening it can be. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by!! That tornado came too close for comfort!
      Hugs,
      Debbie

      Delete
  6. Oh, Debbie, I can understand why you are feeling extremely grateful today! I am so glad to hear that you are safe and that your home and your son's home were not affected. It is a miracle that nobody was hurt or lost. The destruction is so terrible. I am so sorry that this happened. So many businesses and jobs lost, but so fortunate there was no loss of life. Sending hugs and continued blessings x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, Debbie! Thank heavens you are ok. We lived in Edmond, Oklahoma which is a suburb of Oklahoma City for 23 years. We had these near misses quite a few times. It's so scary!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I didn't realize you were so close to the tornado. So glad you are safe and did not have any damage to your home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Debbie, thank goodness ya'll are ok! that is a very scary thing, Tornado's are so unpredictable! Had one go right over my house and touch down bout 1/2 mile away. I hope no one was hurt, and all make a fast recovery. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  10. glad you and your's are safe. bewtjwatgmaildotcom

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw this on the news. I am so glad you were spared and your family is safe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank goodness you're ok. Such very strange weather for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you know I saw this on the news but didn't realize it was so close to you, so thankful you are all right and no one was injured during it.
    It's amazing the paths these storms take.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Debbie, how terrible, this must have been so scary. I'm so glad that you are safe. A hug.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness Debbie- you really were terribly close to all of this. I can hardly believe the mass destruction only hundreds of feet away from your home. I heard about this on the news but had no idea you lived in Wilkes Barre. I hope they’ll be able to rebuild and the stores will stay in business. Amazing how fast a person’s life can get turned upside down. Thank goodness you are all okay.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Debbie, living in the Midwest we are always wary of the weather. No place is safe with the extremes we have been facing the last few years. So glad you and your family are safe. I hope you can help others---as a burden shared is less for all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness; I had goosebumps reading this. I am so thankful that you and your family are safe. I am always so scared when we see tornado watches or warnings in effect since they are so unpredictable.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, I'm so glad you and your family are ok! It's so amazing how it missed you! We live in Montana, and most of our tornadoes touch down in fields and don't do too much damage. I don't think we've ever had one with that kind of devastation!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh, this is so scary. It haS caused so much damage. So glad to hear you and your family are all OK Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a close call! So glad you and your family escaped property damage being that close to the shopping center with so much devastation!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to read your comments and opinions!!
I will try to respond to your comment as quickly as I can either on your Blog, through an email address or here on the posts where you commented if I cannot find any other way to contact you!!
If you are a vendor and insist upon leaving a comment with a link back to a website, it will be deleted immediately as I check my comment several times a day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...