I am a Victorian Soul, who lives in a small townhouse that was built in the mid 1970's, not a huge Mega Mansion!! I just recently lost my Hubby Joe, who was a Retired Letter Carrier. I worked night shift as an RN on a Hospital based Rehabilitation( Physical Medicine) Unit for 37 years before I had Knee Replacement Surgery and officially Retired in 2019 after 41 years working in Direct Patient Care ... I am so glad that we retired at 62 years of age and got to spend that time together before he passed....I still do love Retirement!!!!

I DABBLE IN A BIT OF THIS AND THAT!!!!

" IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN"
George Eliot
George Eliot was actually a pen name for a woman named Mary Anne Evans......

BLOGGING FOR FUN AND FRIENDSHIP!!!!!!

Monday, June 12, 2023

A Colorful Summer Patio, Part 1, Bed and Breakfast Series, 2023

 

 


 Welcome to Debbie-Dabble Blog!!

 
I am so happy you decided to stop by!!
 
 
I am now posting TWICE  a week !!!
 
 I will be posting on MONDAY and FRIDAY!
 
 
As always, click on each picture if you would like to enlarge it....
 
 
 
 Today, I am finally sharing my Colorful Summer Patio now that I planted all my annuals for the Summer......

This will be the first of 2 posts on it....
 
 
 
In my last post, I shared a few garden projects and smoke from the Canadian Fires in our area.........

 

 

 

 

 

 Click HERE if you missed that post!!


 

And now for a few Personal Notes...
 
 
 
 
 Congrats to my Great Niece Cortney who is now an RN as she passed her Nursing Boards....
 
She will be working in a Med/Surg ICU while she works on her BA in Nursing...
 

 Cort with her boyfriend , John, on the day she received her Nursing Pin...
 
I had to sell mine, along with my high school Class ring, when Joe was out of work and the price of gold was high and I needed the money to pay bills...
 
I never wore my Nursing pin anyway...
 
 You do what you got to do.....

I do not even remember having a Pinning Ceremony but I guess we did....
 
Which is why, even though Joe and I were invited, we did not go....
 
I guess it is a bigger thing now then back then... 

 
 I remember we had a big Capping Ceremony....
 
I threw my cap away as soon as I found out we never had to wear them again....
 
 
Mine always gave me a headache because it was not shaped like a normal Nurse's Cap....
 
 It looked more like something from the "Flying Nun" TV series MANY years ago....
 
We had to use bobby pins to hold a folded piece of gauze ( Surgical dressing) on top of your head and then put a hat pin into the poof of the cap to anchor it to the piece of gauze on top of your head......
 
AWFUL!!!!




On Saturday, we attended Cortney's sister Caitlin's High School Graduation which was held at our Arena....

Since my Mother always called me a "Gypsy", I thought I would go  with a Gypsy Bo Ho look....

 
I have had the sheer "jacket" for over 10 years and I bought it on Clearance for $5 at J.C. Penney's....

 
When one goes to the Ladies Room wearing something like this, one must be careful with the fringe on the bottom, if you know what I mean.........



We were so proud to see my Great Niece Caitlin graduate from High School this afternoon...
 

 
 
 
Her mom Renae, presented her with her diploma as Renae is an employee of the School District.
 

 
 That is Renae in the green on the stage....

Once again, we sat on the side of the stage and had great seats....
 
 Caitlin is on the left....



    
She is in the red shoes....


 
 
 
 
 
I took a pic of the big screen instead of the one of Cait getting her diploma from her Mom  as I know other family member's got pictures of that which I will share soon....
 
 
 
 Caitlin will be following in her sister Cort's footsteps....
 
 



 Congrats to Caitlin!!!!

Well Done!
 
It was wonderful getting to see my Nephew Dan and his wife Heather who came in from out of state for the graduation...

We were invited to go with Family members to a local restaurant for dinner but since I don't eat out in restaurants anymore, we passed.....

Joe was hungry for McDonald's later on...

He got 2 Big Mac's, which was buy the second for a buck and I got something I have not had in years...
 
A Fillet of Fish sandwich!!!!
 

  
These were what I craved when I was pregnant with my oldest son, Joey...
 
I would leave my Dr.'s appt., careful not to have gained too much weight which was a thing back then, and then drive to the McDonald's drive thru and get 2 Fillet of Fish sandwiches afterward!!!
 
 Great memories!!
 
 Joe could live on Burgers, pizza and lobster and be perfectly happy!!

Looking forward to Cait's Graduation party at their home in 2 weeks....

I will be making lasagna and chocolate chip cookies....



I always say that in my 40's, when all my multiple Medical issues started to rear their ugly heads, I knew that my days of traveling for any distance were over....

So I decided that since I loved the Victorian Era so much that I would turn my 1970's built townhouse into the Victorian Bed and Breakfast that I would love to stay at if I was able to continue to travel....
 
This concept worked so well that now that I am retired, I seldom want to leave my own little Victorian Bed and Breakfast that I created for myself.... 

Because I feel I am now on vacation every single day!!
 
Last Year, I started a Series of posts that I called My Bed and Breakfast Series...
 
 
The posts were on my Dining Room and on the upstairs Sitting Room... 

Today, I will be continuing the Bed and Breakfast Series because after all, what Victorian Bed and Breakfast doesn't have a charming patio and gardens for their guests to enjoy, right???


Right before Memorial Day, I bought the first batch of flowers for the back yard and Patio.....

This tray I filled with impatiens and begonias.....



 
I also bought zinnias which are now one of my favorite annuals.....


Salvia and another plant that I do not know the name off.....

I went back a second time and then a 3rd time to buy more impatiens and zinnias.....


I decorate the Patio in bright colors with a more whimsical theme than on the Front Porch.....

I use a lot of vintage pieces as flower pots and have a lot of Garden Art in the back yard...


Today, I am sharing one side of the Patio.....

 
 
 
 This is where I usually sit with my feet up to read in the evening or to just look at the birds in the trees behind us or my yard with my morning cup of coffee........
 
 
 
We will start here on the edge of the Patio where I added an extension made of pavers.... 
  
 
 
I have a potted Dwarf Alberta Spruce on each side of the Patio....

This year, I placed some of my smaller Gnome Garden pieces in the pots....
 
 
 
 I have a marigold planted in one pot and seeds from marigolds and what I think is a lamb's ear that reseeded itself ....
 
 



Hanging from the awning is an orb I made by wiring 2 wire hanging baskets together......

 
I have thought of adding solar lights to it....


Hanging on the lattice is a wreath and a basket with some faux greenery inside of it.....


I moved a plastic children's rake that I embellished.....


Over here to the corner.....


 
 
Joe also bought another shovel by accident as it was not the one I wanted so I decided to put it in this pot where I planted 2 impatiens.....


I think the children's garden toys add a bit of playfulness to the Patio...
 
On this wooden post that I moved here this year, I added a garden sign, a bow that I made out of ribbon from Dollar Tree and a mason jar with a citronella candle in it....


One impatien is planted in the pot on the pink stool.....


I planted 3 zinnias in the large pot.......



 I have just fallen in love with these zinnias!!
 
And a begonia in this one....



I hung wreaths on the 2 Den windows....


On the wall between the windows....


On the 3 tiered plant stand.....


Hens and chicks in this pot.....


 Yes, the clock works and so does the thermometer....
 
One impatien....


And 2 planted in this pot....

 
A foot stool I made from an antique milk crate.....


On top of the table....




On the wall between the window and the door.....

 
Hanging to the side is a children's garden rake that was my late neighbor Elly's...



3 begonias planted here in the pot in the chair........


I put small  terra cotta saucers under the front 2 legs of the chair so that when it gets wet, there would not be rust stains on the outdoor carpet....


I also placed a larger saucer underneath the pot so it would catch any water that leaks out of the bottom after watering it.....



Also on this side of the Patio....


Is the paver extension I put in to fit a table and chairs on....


You may remember that I bought this new table in Home Depot and the chairs in Big Lot's earlier this Season.....



I had Joe pick up an outdoor pillow for the other chair as I had an extra one......


He bought it in Dollar General but I think t is a cushion but it is okay......

On the table....

 
The bird that I recently painted...


On the side of the table and chairs.....


I planted this plant which I do not know the name of in this pot.....


Joe bought this pot in Big Lot's for the Rose of Sharon Tree that I dug out of my neighbor's yard....


I fill my big pots half way with bottles, cans or packing peanuts to make them lighter.....


I also planted some marigold seeds around the tree and placed a few Gnomes in the pot.....


 
Now I have a Rose of Sharon Tree that is a descendant of the ones that my Dad had planted in his yard.....



I hope you enjoyed seeing this area of the Patio.....


In my next post, I will be sharing the other side of the Patio.....


 
Along with my potting stand....

 
And this new area of the Patio....


And more flowers that I bought!!




So I hope you will stop by to visit again on FRIDAY!!  
 
 
 Stay safe, healthy and most of all, HAPPY!!

Thanks to those who took the time out of their busy day to spend a little bit of time with me!!

If you do not have a blog, PLEASE  give me some way to reply to your comment, maybe by including your email in your comment.  If I can not find a way to reach you, I will reply on the post where you commented so please check back......


I am linking up to these parties:
 
 
  THURSDAY
 
 
 
 Please take some time to visit these terrific hosts and all those joining in on the fun!
 

13 comments:

  1. Great idea to put water bottles/etc into the bottom of the big pots. I have an orb that I made out of 2 hanging baskets, but mine is full of rocks and in the garden. I must get a photo of it for my post this week. I have been inspired by your weight loss, and have started my own, mainly cutting out things with sugar and trying to do more exercises. I've lost close to 15 pounds so far, and can actually get into some capri pants that I wore pre covid! Thanks so much for getting me back at this. We are finally getting some much needed rain today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you're ready to enjoy the patio! Thanks so much for linking up at #AThemedLinkup 153 for Summer Crafts and Décor! Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun celebrations! I can see why that is your favorite patio spot -- It would be mine. too! I'm way behind comment this week (and through the weekend, so thanks for your recent (and future) visits. Hope to get back on schedule soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter attended a Catholic nursing school run by nuns. Their capping ceremony featured a special "blessing of their hands" that was so meaningful, it brings a tear to my eyes even to this day. It was a very challenging RN program and all graduates were assured of a job on graduation. (the school closed a few years later). My daughter was offered a critical care position in a large hospital who paid for her to complete her BSN.
    Because she likes to challenge herself, she then went on to get her MSN and, last summer, her Doctorate in Nursing Education.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie, your patio is so warm and inviting. I think I would want to spend all day out there. I started adding pavers and extending my patio a few years ago after seeing yours. I am enjoying it so much more. Thank you for always being an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Visiting again to say thanks so much for linking up at the #UnlimitedLinkParty 116. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your small colorful patio - looks like an enjoyable spot to relax

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Pink Saturday! Lovely patio blooms and decor. What a relaxing space.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your niece Caitlin resembles you so much Debbie. Congrats to them both on graduating, and following in the footsteps of you becoming nurses too. I love how you said you created a home you wanted to stay in. My husband and I decided we would omit vacations and spend the money on our home creating a vacation home for us. Then when my immune system plummeted, we knew we were heading in the right direction. While we are far from the perfect vacation home, we are still working on it. It was nice to see someone else share the same sentiment we have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debbie, so many memories and future plans shared, along with a comfortable place to relax and have a great chat! Thanks for sharing with SSPS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your mini gnomes look so cute displayed in their little gardens! As usual, you green thumb is still working well this year. Thanks for sharing at the #HomeMattersParty

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your porch really looks inviting!

    It’s so nice that it’s warming up enough to use our porches! I had a vulture visit ours yesterday. That was so weird!

    Thank you for sharing your post over at the Homestead Blog Hop 449!

    Blessings,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Debbie, you've been busy! I enjoyed all the wonderful photos. Your patio is great.
    Thank you bunches for sharing this with Sweet Tea & Friends this month dear friend.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to read your comments and opinions!!
I will try to respond to your comment as quickly as I can either on your Blog, through an email address or here on the posts where you commented if I cannot find any other way to contact you!!
If you are a vendor and insist upon leaving a comment with a link back to a website, it will be deleted immediately as I check my comment several times a day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...