I am a Victorian Soul, who lives in a small townhouse that was built in the mid 1970's, not a huge Mega Mansion!! I just recently lost my Hubby Joe, who was a Retired Letter Carrier. I worked night shift as an RN on a Hospital based Rehabilitation( Physical Medicine) Unit for 37 years before I had Knee Replacement Surgery and officially Retired in 2019 after 41 years working in Direct Patient Care ... I am so glad that we retired at 62 years of age and got to spend that time together before he passed....I still do love Retirement!!!!

I DABBLE IN A BIT OF THIS AND THAT!!!!

" IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN"
George Eliot
George Eliot was actually a pen name for a woman named Mary Anne Evans......

BLOGGING FOR FUN AND FRIENDSHIP!!!!!!

Monday, June 17, 2024

Back Yard Cottage Garden, 2024

 

 

 

 

 

Welcome to Debbie-Dabble Blog!!

 
I am so happy you decided to stop by!!
 
Blogging has always been a stress reliever for me along with an avenue to share my passions which are my home and my garden.....
 
  Joe would want me to continue doing what I love to do so with that being said.....
 
I am going to start posting again on a regular schedule.....

I will be posting on MONDAYS and THURSDAYS....

And when I can, I will add a Saturday Snippets post on SATURDAYS... 


As always, click on each picture if you would like to enlarge it....
 
 
 PINTEREST
 
If you would like to Pin my pictures, please click on them to enlarge them to do so....
 
 
 A NOTE ABOUT COMMENTS
 
I enjoy reading your comments and will return the favor by visiting and commenting on your blog or reply to you directly here if you do not have a blog but I do have my comment section set to Moderation due to spammers and hackers so your comment will not appear immediately...
And since I have a very busy life, like most of us do, it may take me awhile to return your comments but I promise I will....
 
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my last post, I shared a Few New Buys including More Flowers....

 


 

  Click HERE if you missed that post!! 
 


 And now for a few Personal Notes...
 

Just want to share a few pictures that my DIL Danielle posted of my son Jim and the Twins for Father's Day.....








Every time I look at the Twins , my heart just melts!!!

I am so PROUD of the man and Dad that Jim has become and I know Joe is too!!!!

Jim had to work on Father's Day so Joey and I decided that in memory of Joe, we would order his favorite for our dinner on Sunday....

Pizza, of course!!

From a local eatery called Leggio's....

One pie with sausage...

 
And one with bacon on it....

Of course, we were not able to finish these so I took some over to my neighbor Ed, wishing him a Happy Father's Day!!!


The nightmare now begins.....


I only have to leave my house twice this week which includes my cousin's Funeral on Saturday....

Even though they will be also having a grave site inurnment, I will not be going to the cemetery because I think standing out there in hot sun, 90 degrees at the peak of the heat around 1pm is a very dangerous thing to do especially since I suffer from Heat and Sun sensitivity because of my auto immune disease....

For the rest of the week, I will be locked up in my house with the shades drawn and every window closed to prevent the hot Sun and Air from getting into the house with the air conditioning set to "morgue"

I can not wait til Fall!!


I am finally able to share how my back yard Cottage Garden looks.....

 
 
 I will only be venturing out in the early mornings in this awful heat to water all those darn flowers that I just bought!!! 

 
 
 
 I planted a Black Eyed Susan perennial in a large pot and put it out in the yard.....
 
 
 
 
 
 Loosestrife which will soon bloom with purple flowers are planted on each side of the arbor....

 
 

 
 
 My Fur Baby Memory Garden.....
 
 
 
 
 Looking toward the Patio....

 
 This year, I moved the gazing balls to each side of the arbor.....
 
 
 
 For many years, I had the hanging bags that I planted myself after buying them on Clearance at a local greenhouse....

I had them all over the yard, hanging on the back gate, on the fence and for the last few years, I hung them on the arbor.....

This is what it looked like last year....

 
 Not only did the bags bite the dust ( ripping apart after 10 + years) but so did the fountain, that became a bird bath, that became a planter for flowers....
 
The bowl cracked and fell apart over the Winter....

 
 
 I opted not to replace the hanging bags, even though you can buy them on Amazon, because each bag takes 11 flowers to fill.....

Has nothing to do with the price but with the amount of work planting them and then watering them , trying to keep them alive all Summer....
 
For now, I hung a watering can and a bird house from the arbor.....
 
 
 
 Another loosestrife planted on this side of the arbor....

 
I did save the base of the fountain and repurposed it once again, which you will see a bit later...

I moved one of the pedestals that I had in the yard under the arbor and placed this Sun Dial that I bought at a church flea market on top of it....
 
 
 
 I usually thin out the Missouri Primrose in the early Spring but I did not get around to doing that so they are all over the yard this year.....
 
 
 
 They bloom with those bright yellow flowers for most of June....
 
My late neighbor Elly's gardening stone....
 

 
" Old Gardeners never die, they just spade away"
 
The right back corner of the yard.....
 
 
 
 
 
 I also moved another pedestal with this Sun Dial over to this area of the yard from the middle flower bed.....
 
 

 
 
 
 
 I planted 2 impatiens in the vintage watering can....
 
 
 
 We had an inch of rain here the other day but there will be no more rain in sight until possibly in the form of thunder storms next Saturday.....
 

 
 I have had this stone for many years.....

 
"An Hour in the Garden puts Life's Problems in Perspective" 

I think I may paint the lettering black and spray it with a sealer....

I planted 3 impatiens in the planter in the wheelbarrow.....
 

 
 And I transplanted this varigated hosta in the pot in the vintage coal bucket....
 
 
 
  By the back gate.....
 
 
 
  My Dad put these steps in over 40 years ago but with all the trees that grew up behind the fence, it makes it almost impossible to walk between the properties in the back....
 
We only own one foot past the fence with the rest of the slope belonging to the homeowners behind us.....
 
In a long flower box, I planted 3 pink begonias along with 2 Rose of Sharon trees that I took out of my neighbor Ed's yard.....
 
 
 
 The Rose of Sharon tree in the middle was transplanted there last year and hopefully, I will be moving it to another place soon either in my yard or someone else's.....
 

I also transplanted this hosta from a neighbor's yard into this pot last year......



I did trim this euonymus in the Spring but it looks like I may have to do so again.....


You can see how I repurposed the base of the fountain again!!!


I was able to place this gazing ball that I had for many years on top of it....


I did use masking tape to secure it in place.....


I bought a new perennial whose light purple colored flowers have fallen off and new ones have not yet opened in this large gray pot.....


 
 
In the vintage galvanized bucket behind it, on a small pedestal, is a columbine that I transplanted last year.....


Hostas were planted around it.....


Last year, I planted a Blue Balloon Flower in this galvanized vintage bucket....




The center flower bed.....

Another sea of yellow primrose.....

I do enjoy watching various birds enjoying themselves in this bird bath......

I planted 3 begonias in the pot on top of the Gnome stump that I bought in Big Lot's a few years ago.....


And I planted 2 impatiens in the vintage galvanized watering can.....

The columbine have reseeded themselves through the flower beds.....

Soon this loosestrife will also bloom with purple flowers.....

Looking toward the arbor from the other side of the yard......


 

The other side of the center flower bed.....


A small Gnome garden....



A hosta planted in the pot in the chair and a sedum that will bloom in the Fall below it....



Hanging on the Tree is a bird house....


And a vintage strainer planted with one impatien.....


In the back is another loosestrife.....


The figure was my late neighbor Elly's....



The flower bed on the other side of the walkway I put in a few years ago....





I planted 2 impatiens in each of these hanging pots.....


I transplanted 2 more Rose of Sharon trees in the one pot and 2 coleus and a marigold in the other pot......

 
 
I may have to spray the coleus as something appears to be chewing away on the leaves....

 
 
 
 
 More Missouri Primrose......

 
 
 
 I planted 2 petunias and one marigold in this vintage watering can that I placed on top of the milk can.....

 
 

 
 
 An Angel on the side of the milk can....
 
 
 
 These are asters which will bloom in the Fall with light purple flowers.....
 

 
 
 
And that completes my Tour of my little Cottage Garden Back Yard.....
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 I hope you enjoyed seeing it....

I will share how my flowers are growing throughout the Season....

In my next post on THURSDAY, I will begin to share my Summer Patriotic Decorations in the Living Room which is the only room that I decorate with Seasonal decor in the Summer.....
 
 So I hope you will stop by to visit again on THURSDAY!!  
 
 
 Stay safe, healthy and most of all, HAPPY!!

Thanks to those who took the time out of their busy day to spend a little bit of time with me!!

If you do not have a blog, PLEASE  give me some way to reply to your comment, maybe by including your email in your comment.  If I can not find a way to reach you, I will reply on the post where you commented so please check back......


I am linking up to these parties:
 
 

  THURSDAY
 

    Please take some time to visit these terrific hosts and all those joining in on the fun!
 



14 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie -- The twins are absolutely adorable -- and almost sitting up alone. They grow so fast. Your garden is bright and colorful, as always. Yes, early morning watering is the way to go -- I'm up with first light to water my patio plants. Temp here is predicted to be 112 today and going up to 115 by Thursday. Perfect weather for staying in with the a/c on, though I don't have it as cold as you do!! I hope you can enjoy your patio garden -- perfect spot for a morning cup of whatever you choose. Take care -- Patty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope you are staying cool...
      Hugs,
      Deb

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful Father's Day and what sweet photos. I am sure Joe was looking down with a huge grin. We used to have those hanging bags of impatience's too. They are a lot of work. I loved how they looked on the screen door on our shed, but my husband was the one who had to take care of them and he asked - please! No more! Your yard is just lovely. We are getting that heat, too. 96 today and all I did was walk from my house to my car. We had grandsons here and we went for a 45 minute air conditioned car ride to a stand with homemade root beer and floats. And car hops. So a lovely young lady took our order and brought us our floats and we never had to leave the car. It is going to be a long hot week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precious pics of the twins, your son. The pizza looks delicious. Primrose blooms are so pretty even though they don't last long. I have always wanted Loosestrife, they have such pretty blooms. Gardens are a lot of work then you have to keep up with watering. I have most of my plants on drip. It's a lot of work to get going but then you don't have to worry about watering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pizzas look delicious, Debbie! What a yummy way to honor Joe on Father's Day! I'm so impressed by the beauty of your yard. You can tell that gardening is a passion of yours by the thought, care, time and energy you devote to it all! Praying that the heat breaks at some point - at least for a while. Here in Minnesota, we've had rain the past three days with more on the way through Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love yellow flowers in the garden, this year I added lots of yellow marigolds to my small deck veggie garden. The twins are adorable. Heat here as well, only going out first thing in the morning and then, like you, hibernating inside. Have a good day, stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hard work shows off beautifully in your sweet cottage garden! Your family pictures are always so dear, thanks for sharing. I don’t often comment but please know I really enjoy and look forward to all your posts…I never miss a’one!
    I admire your creativity and learn a lot from you…and I feel your heartache missing Joe. Again, thank you for your words, pictures and heart. xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. V.,
      Thank you so much for always stopping by and I am so glad that you enjoy my posts....I hope you are staying cool in this heat....
      Hugs,
      Deb
      Debbie-Dabble Blog

      Delete
  7. The cottage garden is so beautiful! You've done a wonderful job with it! And the twins are adorable! I'm so glad you had a nice Father's Day.

    I have an autoimmune condition that makes me very sensitive to heat as well. It is very frustrating. This week I am locked inside to keep from fainting or causing any issues for anyone else.

    Take care and stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cottage garden looks so lovely... but those father's day photos steal the show. I can not get over how much the twins have grown already. I love seeing their smiling faces (though their sleepy faces were totally adorable too!). I am sure this was a bittersweet father's day for you all but I just know that Joe was looking down on you all and smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think of you often, Debbie and I'm glad to hear you are keeping busy. Your flowers are beautiful , but that picture of Jim and his girls is absolutely precious! Stay cool...Fall is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cottage garden is so pretty -- and things are thriving, too. Wonderful blooms and a delightful spot to be. I loved the Father's Day photos. Those little girls are growing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love your garden so very pretty and love the size of it as well. will be nice to be in the middle of summer when you need a good place to go sit. come see us at http://shopannies.blogpsot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the yellow primroses. The twins are so cute! RHill, TX

    ReplyDelete

I always love to read your comments and opinions!!
I will try to respond to your comment as quickly as I can either on your Blog, through an email address or here on the posts where you commented if I cannot find any other way to contact you!!
If you are a vendor and insist upon leaving a comment with a link back to a website, it will be deleted immediately as I check my comment several times a day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...