I am a Victorian Soul, who lives in a small townhouse that was built in the mid 1970's, not a huge Mega Mansion!! I just recently lost my Hubby Joe, who was a Retired Letter Carrier. I worked night shift as an RN on a Hospital based Rehabilitation( Physical Medicine) Unit for 37 years before I had Knee Replacement Surgery and officially Retired in 2019 after 41 years working in Direct Patient Care ... I am so glad that we retired at 62 years of age and got to spend that time together before he passed....I still do love Retirement!!!!

I DABBLE IN A BIT OF THIS AND THAT!!!!

" IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN"
George Eliot
George Eliot was actually a pen name for a woman named Mary Anne Evans......

BLOGGING FOR FUN AND FRIENDSHIP!!!!!!

Thursday, June 13, 2024

A Few Flower Bed Updates, 2024

 

 

 

 

 

 

Welcome to Debbie-Dabble Blog!!

 
I am so happy you decided to stop by!!
 
Blogging has always been a stress reliever for me along with an avenue to share my passions which are my home and my garden.....
 
  Joe would want me to continue doing what I love to do so with that being said.....
 
I am going to start posting again on a regular schedule.....

I will be posting on MONDAYS and THURSDAYS....

And when I can, I will add a Saturday Snippets post on SATURDAYS... 


As always, click on each picture if you would like to enlarge it....
 
 
 PINTEREST
 
If you would like to Pin my pictures, please click on them to enlarge them to do so....
 
 
 A NOTE ABOUT COMMENTS
 
I enjoy reading your comments and will return the favor by visiting and commenting on your blog or reply to you directly here if you do not have a blog but I do have my comment section set to Moderation due to spammers and hackers so your comment will not appear immediately...
And since I have a very busy life, like most of us do, it may take me awhile to return your comments but I promise I will....
 
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my last post, I shared the second half of my small back Patio, completing the tour of how I decorated and rearranged it for this Summer....

 

 

 

 

 

  Click HERE if you missed that post!!


 And now for a few Personal Notes...
 

Wanted to share this cute visitor I had while sitting out on the front porch the other evening....





I had every intention of sharing my back yard Cottage Garden today but it is not quite the way I want it to look as I just planted more flowers....

Yes, I wanted immediate gratification and could not wait until the seeds I planted to grow as I was late in doing so this year...

So I am sharing what I intended to share this coming Saturday instead....


You may remember that over the past few years, I enlarged and landscaped the small flower bed by the entrance to our Court where our mailboxes are....

This is how it looked in 2018......

You can see it was just a small area....

In 2021, Joe helped as I dug out the grass and enlarged the flower bed to include this massive arborvitae......

 
Later that year, our HOA decided to remove the Tree as it blocked the view of cars coming down the road from the row of townhomes behind us.....
 
So in 2022, I enlarged the bed again and planted more perennials where the tree was....

All perennials that I planted in this bed are what I took out of my yard and neighbor's yards....

Usually, I clean it out, re do the rock border and mulch it in early April.....

Well, needless to say, I finally got around to doing that in late May this year....

It turned out that I did not need to buy any mulch this year because of everything that grew with all the rain that we had this Spring!!

This is how it looked after I first tended to it....

I weeded.....

I cleaned all the dry leaves from the tree line along road out of it.....

 
 I took out the entire rock border and put them all back in, standing them up for a bit more height....
 

 
 
 I had meant to thin out that huge hosta this year like I did last year but I did not get to it in time.....
 
 

And this is how it looked about a week ago when most of the Missouri Primrose was starting to bloom!!!

 



Honestly, I can not be more pleased with how it looks!!!

 

 There is also asters among the Missouri Primrose that will bloom with purple flowers in the early Fall....

 

 

 A sea of yellow flowers......

The lamb's ear really creates a nice color contrast.....

On the left is a Rose of Sharon tree that will bloom with pretty pink flowers about mid Summer.....

To the right of the tree, back by the wall, is a Loosestrife that will soon bloom with purple flowers....

Again, everything in this bed was transplanted here, taken from my yard and neighbor's yards so I spent nothing on plants for this bed.....


I will show updates on what is blooming here throughout the Summer.....


You may also remember that a few years ago, I, with Joe being my laborer, relandscaped 4 of my neighbor's front yards....

This is my neighbor Ed's yard, who currently lives in my late neighbor Elly's house...

Elly taught me so much about perennials and gardening that I feel I owe it to her to keep her yard looking good....

I always say that Elly sent us a great neighbor in Ed and since he suffers from hip and knee issues, I am happy to take care of his front yard for him....

I weeded....

I trimmed this azalea......

I cut out another azalea that died but luckily a Rose of Sharon tree reseeded here....

I took out the entire scalloped brick border and straightened it, leveling it before I put it back in.....

And I raked up, refreshening the mulch.....


I also freshening up the mulch in the front flower bed on top of the slope....

I trimmed back this Burning Bush.....

3 years ago, we thought this died because all the leaves fell off of it....

I cut it back, remembering what my Dad always say....

"If you cut it back, it will come back bigger and better than ever"

I think he was right!!!!



Again, everything I transplanted here is growing well....


The Rose of Sharon trees have been here for over 40 years and were actually sprouts from those that grew in my parent's back yard!!!

I gave them a good trimming too...


I do have to put the weed killer that I make up down because they do keep reseeding themselves.....

Again, I usually remulch, weed and put Preen down on Ed's slope in the very early Spring but I did not get to do that this year....

I will mulch all the slopes and flower beds next year.....

I did actually climb the slope to weed but was very leary as it was hot and there were sightings of copperhead snakes around these retaining walls in our Court last year.......

A loosestrife....

Sedum.....

Hostas....

Elly planted most of the perennials on this slope....


 It does not look too bad.....
 
 
And I do want to share one more flower bed....

This is the top of the slope next door to me....

I planted everything here when the new owner hired me to redo the front yard....

There was a huge arborvitae where that stump is.....


I hope the hosta that I planted by it will grow and eventually cover it....

I said last year that Barna Landscaping was retired but I do love taking care of these flower beds as it makes our Court look nice and it inspires other neighbors to take care of their yards....

And it keeps me busy, which is a good thing especially this year....
 
I do miss my "Laborer and Supervisor" though...

On SATURDAY, I hope to share my back yard Cottage Garden.....

So I hope you will stop by to visit again on SATURDAY!! 
 
  Stay safe, healthy and most of all, HAPPY!!

Thanks to those who took the time out of their busy day to spend a little bit of time with me!!

If you do not have a blog, PLEASE  give me some way to reply to your comment, maybe by including your email in your comment.  If I can not find a way to reach you, I will reply on the post where you commented so please check back......


I am linking up to these parties:
 
 
 

  THURSDAY

    Please take some time to visit these terrific hosts and all those joining in on the fun!
 



9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful entryway to your court -- so bright and cheerful. The size of the hostas always amazes me -- they are spectacular. You have a lot of beauty to view -- enjoy. Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barna Landscaping did a wonderful job designing and planting all those beds. I am sure the whole complex enjoys the corner plantings - such an improvement and better every year. I totally understand maintaining the neighbors front yards and the slopes - it makes all the homes on your side look fabulous! You do such a wonderful job and have quite the eye for what looks good where. I know your supervisor is smiling down at your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done a wonderful job with the neighbors yards. They look so nice. A lot of work! I am sure it is appreciated a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words and for stopping by!! Stay Coll!!
      Hugs,
      Deb

      Delete
  4. Hi Debbie, Just stopping by to see how you are doing. Your corner lot looks so good. I remember when Joe pulled alot of it out. I would never venture into anything where there were snake sightings. I shuddered when I read that!
    I am really proud of you and your attitude. Do you have a summer bucket list? Do you like to read? How are those precious girls. xo laura in Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting you call it Missouri primrose, I just call it evening primrose ... looks to be the same plant. You have been busy with the gardens and all of them look wonderful. I love yellow flowers, any variety. Yikes, snakes, hope you didn't encounter any. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      I always heard of them being called Missouri Primrose...Thanks so much for stopping by and for your kind comment!!
      Hugs,
      Deb

      Delete
  6. The flower beds look great. Love the yellow flowers, they steal the show!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to read your comments and opinions!!
I will try to respond to your comment as quickly as I can either on your Blog, through an email address or here on the posts where you commented if I cannot find any other way to contact you!!
If you are a vendor and insist upon leaving a comment with a link back to a website, it will be deleted immediately as I check my comment several times a day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...