I am a Victorian Soul, live in a small townhouse that was built in the mid 1970's, not a huge Mega Mansion, with my Hubby Joe, who is a Retired Letter Carrier. I worked night shift as an RN on a Hospital based Rehabilitation( Physical Medicine) Unit for 37 years before I had Knee Replacement Surgery and officially Retired in 2019 after 41 years working in Direct Patient Care ... I am LOVING Retirement!!!!

I DABBLE IN A BIT OF THIS AND THAT!!!!

" IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN"
George Eliot
George Eliot was actually a pen name for a woman named Mary Anne Evans......

BLOGGING FOR FUN AND FRIENDSHIP!!!!!!

Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Saint Patrick's Tree and More Decorations....

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Welcome to Debbie-Dabble Blog!!

 
I am so happy you decided to stop by!!
 
Just a reminder, I will be posting on Wednesdays and Sundays every week so be sure to check back on those days to see a new post......  

Today, I will be sharing the rest of my Saint Patrick's Day decorations in the Den....


Happy March!!!

I just love my Cynthia Hart Victorian Calendar that my friend Anne Marie gifted to me!!!



Even though many view March as the beginning of Spring, it can still be very cold and snowy here in March in NEPA!!

Time will tell.....
 

 In my previous post, I shared how I decorated the china cupboard inside and on top , using Old Curiosity Shop dishes and a few Saint Patrick's Day decorations....



  
 

 

 
 

Click HERE if you missed that post....

 

Before I share the area around the china cupboard and my Saint Patrick's Day Tree....
 
A few Personal Notes...
 

 These were the Reheat ad Eat meals from the WB Scranton Pens Food Service for this week...

Joey and I got the Grilled Chicken topped w/ Alfredo Sauce over Creamy Risotto & Roasted Broccoli

 


And Joe got a quart of white bean beef chili.....

With corn bread & grilled vegetables....


 I'll let you know how they are....
 

I have managed to pack away all the Valentine's decorations from the Living Room and I am almost done packing away the Valentine's from the Dining Room...

I will be starting to change over the linens and drapes and curtains in the Living Room to Spring/Summer ones and then decorate for Easter in the Living Room and the Dining Room....

I hope to get that done by the end of the weekend and then I will move into the Kitchen, changing things over.....

 

I have frequently mentioned here on this Blog that my ancestors were part of the huge influx of Eastern European immigrants who came to this area and others in Penna. to work in the Coal Mines and the Steel Industry in the early 1900's.... 

Prior to that, since Penna. was one of the original 13 Colonies, it was predominately English, Welsh, Irish and some Germans that inhabited the area...

In the early 1800's , the Irish immigrated here to escape the Potato Famine in Ireland....

So there is a large amount of residents of Irish descent in this area, Saint Patrick's Day is a BIG thing here with the Parade in Scranton listed among the largest in the Country....

 

It is so big that even though they cancelled it in March last year because of the Pandemic, they held it in SEPTEMBER!!!!!

LOL!!!

To me, that was ridiculous!!!

BUT God forbid all the Bars, which are open in the morning of the parade, not make money!!

And on those years that the Holiday fell on a Friday, Catholics here were given permission to eat meat by the Bishop in our Diocese!!!! 

No Words!!!

 

I only decorate the china cupboard and the area around it for Saint Patrick's Day....

I already showed you the top of the china cupboard and how I decorated the inside of it...

 

 

 In front of it, on the left side, is a small table....

 

 

 I set a funeral basket on it and decorated it for the Holiday....

 
 
 Hanging on the side of the cupboard is a shamrock from Dollar Tree....

 
 
 
 I added a bow, a few ornaments and a vintage styled Saint Patrick's Day card to the handle of the basket....
 
 
 
 
 
I filled the basket with green and white carnations, a 4 leaf clover bush and a few Saint Patrick's picks and a card.....
 

 
 
 
 
 
 I like the green patina on this vintage funeral basket that my friend Anne Marie gifted to me....
 
 
 
 An ornament of Saint Patrick and an angel I think was fitting as per the saying on the postcard........
 
 
 
Anne Marie gifted me a few antique postcards which I have been highlighting in this post and the previous one.........
 
 
This one is postmarked 1918

 
 
 
 
 
 
 Sitting in a chair under the table is a sweet Irish Lass....
 
 
 
 
 
 Hanging on the door is a shamrock that I bought at an estate sale..... 
 

 I added a bit to it.....

 

 
 

 

I had set up 2 vintage suitcases in front of the china cupboard....
 
 
 
 
 
 On top of the top suitcase....
 
 
 
A leprechaun and a pot of gold....

 
 
 A green depression glass bowl filled with ornaments.....
 
 
 
Another depression glass bowl with a sweet Bear wearing a shamrock sweater sitting in it....
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Another antique postcard


1914 postmark on this one...




I thought the "guess who" was quite humorous....
 
I hope that person on the receiving end wasn't guessing for a long time...

 Under the pedestal that the bear is on....


On the bottom suitcase....
 
 
 
 The vintage style card was bought at Michael's years ago...

 
 
 The tea cup and saucer are not a match but I still pared them together....
 
 

The tea cup is Lefton....
 

And this is the marking on the saucer, which I bought for 25 cents at a yard sale....
 
 
 
 
Another postcard....
 



 Apparently, never mailed....



 
And the last postcard.....

 
This is the post card that made me think of using the Old Curiosity Shop dishes in this display other than the fact that they are green!!


Sort of looks like the picture....

 
Love the play on words in the hand written message...





So that is how I decorated the front of the china cupboard, using the vintage suitcases of which the one on the bottom was my Mother's and the other one, I bought for $1.00 at a yard sale!!!

 
 
 
 
 
 
Around the side of the china cupboard.....

 
Is a Tree that I decorated for Saint Patrick's Day....
 

 
 But first, let me show you my Thomas Kinkade calendar....

 
I love the March plate....

 
Now I have decorated other Saint Patrick's Day Trees in past years....
 
 
 
 
 
But since I decided to use this Tree in here for Christmas 2 years ago, I thought it would be perfect to leave up...

 
 
 This Tree now stays up year round and this is how it looked for Christmas, decorated with Thomas Kinkade ornaments........

 
And for Winter with Winter Birds....
 
 

And now....


 I hung another Dollar Tree shamrock on the side of the cupboard....
 
 
 
 

 
 I decided to added something different from last year and that is the white tinsel like garland...
 
 
 
 When you are decorating a green evergreen Tree with green ornaments and green carnations, the things tend to get lost like they did last year....

 
 See the difference????

I topped the Tree off with a bow that I made using deco mesh ribbon and a Leprechaun Hat from Dollar Tree....
 

I hung ornaments that I collected through out the years and green ball ornaments bought after Christmas on Clearance....


I will let the pictures do the talking....
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  
 

 
  
 
 
 
  
 
 
 
 

  
 
 
I tucked green and white tipped with green carnations into the Tree...
 
 Everything stands out so much better with the white garland....
 
 
 
Hanging on the open door of the cupboard...
 

 Is an Irish bead necklace with a mug on it....


 
NEPA is known for celebrating Saint Patrick's Day all month long with parties and parades and does tend to become a big Booze Fest....
 
 
 
 Truth be told, my Mother refused to wear green on Saint Patrick's Day and instead on the 18th, wore red in honor of Saint Joseph's Day which is the Patron Saint of the Worker and celebrated to the hilt in Polish and Italian cultures as a protest to the Irish celebrating Saint Patrick's Day!!

 I hoped you enjoyed seeing my Irish decorations for this year....

 
 Not sure what I will be posting about on Sunday but I hope you will stop by to visit again and see what I have been up to!!

Stay safe, healthy and most of all, HAPPY!!

Thanks to those who took the time out of their busy day to spend a little bit of time with me!!

If you do not have a blog, PLEASE  give me some way to reply to your comment, maybe by including your email in your comment.  If I can not find a way to reach you, I will reply on the post where you commented so please check back......


I am linking up to these parties:
 
 



Please take some time to visit these terrific hosts and all those joining in on the fun!

 

14 comments:

  1. You have so many wonderful Irish treasures, Debbie. I'm such a fan of antique postcards and love reading their messages. And you know I love your "Muffy Bear" all dressed in her Irish outfit. Happy St. Paddy's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoyed looking at your treasures! The white garland does help set off all that green. i especially liked the old postcards! Kathy A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy,
      Glad that you enjoyed the postcards... I was thrilled when my friend gifted them to me...Thanks so much for visiting again!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
      Hugs,
      Debbie

      Delete
  3. Oh, gosh, I would have chosen the chicken and risotto, too! It looks fabulous! The chili looks good, too and I wouldn't mind just the vegetables! I love these photos, thanks for continuing to share.

    Your postcards are just the greatest. When I get out this summer (I hope) I am going to keep my eyes out for St Patrick's day cards. Wonderful! And that bear is just adorable.

    St Patrick's day is celebrated in a big way in my German town, too. There is no parade, but there is a lot of barhopping. With it falling in the middle of the week, I am guessing there will be two weekends of St Paddy parties and drink specials. Our bishop also suspends the "no meat" fasting on any Fridays that March 17 might land on. Just seems hypocritical to me, but what do I know? I think one of the Catholic churches in my area actually switches from fish fry to Ruebens when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your St. Patrick's Day tree and other decorations are quite festive! I like the little green hats -- they look like they're waiting for leprechauns to come along and wear them. I enjoyed seeing the vintage postcards -- never knew that people sent St. Patrick's Day cards. I live in Savannah, GA where St. Patrick's Day is a huge, big deal with a large parade and lots of celebrations. Thank You for linking up at Talent-Sharing Tuesdays Link-Up 9.
    Carol
    www.scribblingboomer.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, Debbie! Those leprechauns will definitely know how to find you! I do love the postcards too but don't do much for St. Paddy's day. It has some sad remembrances for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola Debbie, acabo de conocer tu blog y me ha encantado. Todas tus decoraciones son preciosas y dices que vives en una pequeña casa adosada, te diré que eres una privilegiada, yo vivo en un piso no muy grande y me encantaría tener una casita donde poder tener todas mis labores y manualidades como he visto que puedes hacer tú.
    Te felicito por tu alegría y sobre todo por disfrutar de tu jubilación, me encantaría se jubilada para poder hacer todo lo que no puedo hacer ahora por falta de tiempo, pero espero que llegue el momento (aunque aun me faltan unos añitos).
    Felicidades por todo, besicos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by and for your kind words!!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
      Hugs,
      Debbie

      Delete
  7. Deb, your pretty home wears the green well. It all looks so festive and pretty. I don't have very many green things but I do have the Old Curiosity Shop dishes. If my daffodils would bloom soon they would make a pretty subject..Happy Thursday..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Debbie! Well, Shoot! I was typing away and all of a sudden my comment disappeared! I love all of your St. Patrick's Day decor. Sadly, I have none. My eye spied those lovely vintage green and white dishes. I have seen bits and pieces through the years and now wish I had started collecting them but I started collecting the blue and white Currier and Ives dishes. You always make me hungry too! Hope you have a nice weekend.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's an amazing collection of St. Patrick's Day decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just circling back around to say: Thank you for participating in Talent-Sharing Tuesdays Link-up 10. Have a great week!
    Carol
    www.scribblingboomer.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. All the green looks adorable! I absolutely love your Thomas Kinkade calendar. It's beautiful! The beautiful postcards are lovely too, very well preserved! Thanks for sharing on Crafty Creators!
    XOXO,
    Niki ~ Life as a LEO Wife

    ReplyDelete
  12. My eyes went right to the vintage cards. I love items like that. The calendar looks like your style. The March page is darling!

    Thanks for sharing at the FWF link party
    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete

I always love to read your comments and opinions!!
I will try to respond to your comment as quickly as I can either on your Blog, through an email address or here on the posts where you commented if I cannot find any other way to contact you!!
If you are a vendor and insist upon leaving a comment with a link back to a website, it will be deleted immediately as I check my comment several times a day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...