I am a Victorian Soul, live in a small townhouse that was built in the mid 1970's, not a huge Mega Mansion, with my Hubby Joe, who is a Retired Letter Carrier. I worked night shift as an RN on a Hospital based Rehabilitation( Physical Medicine) Unit for 37 years before I had Knee Replacement Surgery and officially Retired in 2019 after 41 years working in Direct Patient Care ... I am LOVING Retirement!!!!

I DABBLE IN A BIT OF THIS AND THAT!!!!

" IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN"
George Eliot
George Eliot was actually a pen name for a woman named Mary Anne Evans......

BLOGGING FOR FUN AND FRIENDSHIP!!!!!!

Thursday, April 4, 2019

A Tale of 2 Boards, a Wash Board and a Chalkboard


Welcome to Debbie-Dabble Blog!!
I am so happy you decided to stop by!!

As I mentioned in previous posts, I have been "dabbling"  a bit in the Kitchen.....

I "upcycled" 2 pictures using place mats......

 Click HERE if you missed that post......

And I also shared how I turned these ......
Into these, using pot holders.......
 Click HERE to see that post if you missed it.....

But before I share another project, I want to Thank Charlene, over at A Pinch of Joy, for mentioning my post, What Fellow Bloggers Think About Blogging and What I Learned, which was a follow up to a previous post, from last week's Busy Monday Party!!! 
 This post and the post I did originally on this topic, prompted Charlene to bring back her Blog Roll listing blogs that she enjoys!!

Thanks so much for your kind words, Charlene!!!!

And I also want to Thank Jennifer over at Life Tales and Books, for featuring the same post, What Fellow Bloggers Think About Blogging and What I Learned, from last week's Heart and Soul Link Up!!! 
 Thanks so much , Jennifer!!

Please stop by and link up to these great parties!!!

Last year, a co worker gave me this chalkboard.......
Here it is in the Kitchen, decorated for Fall........
I taped a Halloween picture over the tile painted with apples......

And here it is decorated for Christmas......
 I used it to display a Christmas Cutting Board......

I love the chalkboard but the color of the apples on the tile was more of a burgundy color rather than a brighter red like I have in the Kitchen.......
I have been cleaning out all the drawers in the Kitchen and I found this!!!!
It was a trivet that had cork surrounding it......

I forgot to take a picture before I pulled the cork off of it.......

It has the perfect color apples for my kitchen which was decorated with apples many years ago.....

Before I ripped the cork off the back, I thought I should check and see how it fits on the board first.....
Lo and Behold, the cork on the back fit perfectly into the space where the original tile is so I just glued this tile to it using E 6000 glue!!!
And here is what it looks like now.......
I will show you more of this area in another post.......
This is the second Board that I mentioned in the title of this post, A Tale of 2 Boards......
This wash board was one a 3 that my neighbor Elly had over her house.......

I did clean it up but I think it must have been left outside because it looked really beaten up.....
So I got out an old toothbrush and gave it a really good scrubbing!!!!

You should have seen how the old soap that was caked in the grooves bubbled up!!!!!

After a good half hour of scrubbing and very sore hands and elbows on my part, this is what it looked like!!!!!
 Look at the patina on the brass ( yes, it is brass!!!) area of this board......

Much better!!!!
I wanted to preserve it and bring out the natural color of the wood so I decided to paint it with a clear acrylic coating......

And this is how it came out.......
The wood got a little darker and it made the brass look a bit brighter....
It darkened up the lettering a bit as the paint was almost worn off......
And look at the patina on that brass!!!
This is the other side of the wash board......
This side must have been used more often because the lettering was barely visible.....
"The Brass King"
And just look at the brass on this side!!!!
What a great color!!!!
So that is my Tale of 2 Boards......
I will share more of this "new" area in my Kitchen in another post.....
Keeping things on a personal note, I have started to take Iron tablets, Folic acid and Vitamin C which has all been prescribed by my surgeon to take one month prior to my surgery, preparing me for the surgery and for any blood loss during the surgery...........

I have also started to do a series of 8 exercises pre -operatively, also to get my leg and knee muscles strengthened for the surgery....

I have to log in online every day showing that I did my exercises and also note what my pain level was for the day.......

25 days until my Knee Replacement Surgery........

You may remember a post, "A Lesson in Courage", that I did last year at this time about my nephew John who was diagnosed with colon cancer.......

 Click HERE to read.....

 This photo was taken last year at a Benefit for John that was organized by his co workers......
My Nephews Dan and John.....

John had recently come home from a month long hospital stay from complications caused by the chemo regime that he was on.....

He was so ill that we feared he would not make it out of the hospital.....

Since that time, he has left his job as a Nurse Anesthetist at a local hospital and is now on Disability.....

He has been fighting this disease so hard.....

However, it had spread to the liver.....

This is what he wrote in a recent post on face book about his treatment and it's effectiveness.......

"Starting my third different drug regimen. The last two were not effective in shrinking the tumors. Hopefully the third treatment is the charm!!! Keep the prayers coming, we can use all the help we can get!!!"

This photo is of John and his beautiful family recently at a hockey game with Joe.....
 No matter what, they are always smiling!!

John will be 47 years old at the end of April.....
His lovely daughters, Carly, Caitlin and Cortney, are 9, 14 and 17 years old.......

He is married for over 25 years to his high school sweetheart, Renae......

I am asking if you all could PLEASE remember them in your prayers as he starts this new chemo drug regime.....

As he said in his face book post, they need all the help that they can get right now!!!!!

Thank you in advance as they are very dear to my heart.....

I hope you will stop by to visit again soon!!

Thanks to those who took the time out of their busy day to spend a little bit of time with me!!

If you do not have a blog, PLEASE  give me some way to reply to your comment, maybe by including your email in your comment.  If I can not find a way to reach you, I will reply on the post where you commented so please check back......

  I am linking up to these parties:

FRIDAY
Friday Features Linky Party
  Feathered Nest Friday
 Funtastic Friday
 Friday Favorites
 Home Matters Linky Party
   Flaunt It Fridays
  Sweet Inspirations Link Party

 SATURDAY
 Saturday Sparks
 Pink Saturday-Anything Goes!!
Best of the Weekend Party
DIY Salvaged Projects Party

SUNDAY
Snickerdoodle Sunday
 Sundays at Home
 Silver Pennies Sunday
 Happiness is Homemade Linky Party
The Fabulous Party

 MONDAY 
Inspire Me Monday
Inspiration Mondays
 Dishing It and Digging It Link Party
Busy Monday
Cooking and Crafting with J & J
Metamorphosis Monday
Project Inspired Weekly Link Party
 Celebrate Your Story Monday Night Link Party! 
Make It Pretty Monday
Heart and Soul Link Up

 TUESDAY
 Tuesdays At Our Home
Inspire Me Tuesdays

Ducks in a Row Wonderful Wednesdays Blog Hop
Sizzle into Summer Party
Talk of the Town Party
Party in Your PJ's
Dream Create Inspire Link
 Waste Not Wednesday
Style Showcase

THURSDAY
Vintage Charm
Home and Garden Party Thursday
 Share Your Style Thursday Link Up Party
  Inspired Creations Linky Party
Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop 
 Grace at Home Party
The Homemaking Party 


Please take some time to visit these terrific hosts and all those joining in on the fun!

17 comments:

  1. Your decorations always look fantastic! I love the washboards! Think Spring!!!! Annster's Domain

    ReplyDelete
  2. I send good wishes to you and all in your family who are dealing with upcoming surgery and cancer too. That's a lot for a family to handle. But you aren't letting it stop your spring fling decorating! I love it -- and the washboard especially! Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Debbie, I have a washboard just like yours. And I've had it for so long I don't remember where it came from! Also I have a small glass one, supposedly used for lingerie.
    Thinking and praying for you with upcoming surgery. Your nephew will be in my prayers as well.
    Blessings, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      I also have a glass wash board but the top of it is so warped... I may have to remove it and do something else with the top of it...Thanks so much for your prayers for my surgery and for my nephew....I truly appreciate it!!
      Hugs
      Debbie

      Delete
  4. Love the washboard. Prayers for John and his family as he goes into another round of drugs and prayers for you as you prepare for surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your decors are always amazing and you're so inventive and clever
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always have the cutest things...and I love the new apple on your chalkboard...
    Prayers for John.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How charming!John has a beautiful family,God bless all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both of these boards are fantastic! How convenient that the picture from that old trivet fit perfectly into your chalkboard sign. And I love those old washboards. I see them frequently at sales, and I always consider buying one. I'm just always unsure what I would do with it. I never thought about hanging it on the wall like you have. Maybe I will go ahead and buy one next time. :) Thanks for sharing at Sweet Inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like both boards but the vintage brass one is such a neat one to have.
    John is such a young man with a beautiful family and I have him in my prayers for healing. So much I am hearing of colon cancer lately. What is going on? I heard
    it used to be called the office workers disease, did you ever hear that? Because of sitting all day and not being active.
    Healing wishes for you on your surgery and John.
    betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prayers for John, for sure. The chalkboard is so cute--I love that it has extra space for display. And the washboard is amazing! Thanks for sharing at #heartandsoullinkup

    ReplyDelete
  11. I pray for you and your nephew. Cancer is such a horrible disease. I have never seen a brass scrub board before, only metallic or plastic ones. I recently had to clean a big tub of old wood toys and the toothbrush is a miracle worker, but ooh lala it was hard on this old broad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leanna,
      I could not find any other way to get in touch with you so I am doing so here....I also have 2 glass wash boards!! I loved the patina on the brass!! I too love to use a toothbrush but then my hands ache terribly afterward because of the arthritis!! Thanks for stopping by!!
      Hugs,
      Deb

      Delete
  12. Love these boards Debbie. I could do with something like these. Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays :) Hope you can join us tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job on both boards, Debbie! Glad to hear you're doing all you can for a successful knee surgery...I'll be thinking of you. Prayers and positive thoughts for your nephew....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that washboard really cleaned up nicely--great job! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to read your comments and opinions!!
I will try to respond to your comment as quickly as I can either on your Blog, through an email address or here on the posts where you commented if I cannot find any other way to contact you!!
If you are a vendor and insist upon leaving a comment with a link back to a website, it will be deleted immediately as I check my comment several times a day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...