I am a Victorian Soul, who lives in a small townhouse that was built in the mid 1970's, not a huge Mega Mansion!! I just recently lost my Hubby Joe, who was a Retired Letter Carrier. I worked night shift as an RN on a Hospital based Rehabilitation( Physical Medicine) Unit for 37 years before I had Knee Replacement Surgery and officially Retired in 2019 after 41 years working in Direct Patient Care ... I am so glad that we retired at 62 years of age and got to spend that time together before he passed....I still do love Retirement!!!!

I DABBLE IN A BIT OF THIS AND THAT!!!!

" IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN"
George Eliot
George Eliot was actually a pen name for a woman named Mary Anne Evans......

BLOGGING FOR FUN AND FRIENDSHIP!!!!!!

Wednesday, April 17, 2024

One Day at a Time


 

Joe peacefully passed away last evening in the utmost comfort and with great dignity.....

THANKS SO MUCH to the amazing staff at Allied Services Hospice Center who kept him calm, comfortable and pain free....

 

 Dear God, I truly think I am strong enough now....


  The last 5 weeks were filled with physicians, hospital and ED stays, medications and tests and more tests...

Through it all, I held my ground....


I tried to set an example of strength for my family and I carried them all on my shoulders and tried to prepare them the best I could for what I knew in my heart was the inevitable...

Even though these last 5 weeks were the most stressful time of our lives, they were a GIFT!! 

We were allowed to spend time with Joe, tell him how much we all loved him and what he meant to all of us....

It is a Gift that he got to see our twin granddaughters and even helped to bring them home from the hospital when they were born.....

 


 And to see them and hold them ....


And to play with our grand pups...

 


 

 A Gift that he was able to spend a few last days at home between hospitalizations... 

The day he left the hospital to come home for a few days....


A Gift that he gave me the instructions on what I need to do to move on in life without him...

In the end, as I did with my mother, I gave him permission to go...


 Told him we would all be alright and would never stop loving him and never ever forget him..that we would tell the Twins stories about him to make them laugh...

That his Mom, his sister Barb and BIL Rick, my Mom and Dad, my nephews Craig and John were all waiting for him...

That Cassie and Savanna were also waiting at the Rainbow Bridge for him...

He passed peacefully 5 hours later....

Even though these last 5 weeks were the most horrific weeks of our lives, they were a GIFT that many do not get....

And for that, we are forever thankful that we got the chance to say Good Bye.....


 It was Joe's choice to go to Hospice because he knew that he would be made comfortable and pain free, be treated with the utmost respect and dignity and most of all, that we could remain his family and not become his caretakers.....

And that was the biggest Gift of all....

THANK YOU for all of your prayers and support during this difficult time...

 

 It is gratefully appreciated....

And PLEASE understand that we will be saying our last Good Bye to Joe PRIVATELY as a family....

 

It is what we need to do to deal with this tremendous loss in our lives.....


 I will be taking a break from Blogging for a bit to deal with all of this....

I will be taking it one day at a time....

But I will be back...

Eventually...
 
Hugs,
 
 Deb 




I am linking up to these parties:
 
 

  THURSDAY
 

    Please take some time to visit these terrific hosts and all those joining in on the fun!
 





 

37 comments:

  1. May you feel our Lords love, peace and strength.
    He gives it freely.
    You all will continue to be in my prayers.
    Blessings to you all,
    Minnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minnie,
      Thanks so much for your visit and for your continued prayers... It has been gratefully appreciated....J
      Hugs,
      Deb

      Delete
  2. Oh Debbie, I am so, so very sorry. My heart is just broken for you and your dear family. I've read your posts for years, where you shared family holidays, outings, delicious looking holiday dinners and more, all featuring pictures and stories of Joe. My favorites were the ones where he'd seen something on sale, that he knew you'd love, and brought it home. I'm sending you love, hugs and prayers my friend. xo Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry. You are the strongest person I know. I feel like your post is consoling me. I am glad that your family was able to deal with Joe's passing on all your terms. That he could experience the joy of his granddaughters, that you all were able to express how much you love him and tell him what you needed to say. I am so glad that he was pain free and that Hospice was able to accommodate all that he needed. He lived a very blessed life with you all as his family. I will be praying for peace and comfort for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Debbie, there are no words to tell you how sorry I am to hear of Joe's passing. I'm so glad you were able to have the time with him to share all he meant to you. You've been strong for everyone else, please be sure to take care of yourself. One day at a time is perfect...I'll 'see' you when you are back. Sending you much love - XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heartbroken for you and your family, Debbie. I send prayers to you all for strength and peace. God bless you. xo,V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. V.,
      Thanks so much V. for all your prayers... We will get through this and emerge stronger than ever because my family will do it together.....
      Hugs,
      Deb

      Delete
  6. I am mourning. Send me Your comfort now. Wrap Your arms around me and hold me tight. Send angels of mercy to me. Shower Your comfort on me through those around me.
    Lord, remind me that no matter what comes my way, Your love and grace are greater than any challenges I may face. Thank You for Your constant presence in my life and for always being my hope and strength.
    My deepest condolences to you and your family

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,
      Thanks so much for your kind words...It means a lot to us..
      Hugs,
      Deb

      Delete
  7. Debbie, may you and your family find peace through the love you share. May your loving memories of your Joe sustain you and keep you in God's embrace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam,
      Thanks so much for your kind words...It is gratefully appreciated...
      Hugs,
      Deb

      Delete
  8. Tears in my eyes as I read this, Joe is peaceful now with his family in heaven, and he'll be shopping for all the bargains up there. Take care of yourself Deb, my love and thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      Yes, Joe is at peace and the greatest Blessing has been that we were all able to say Good Bye and tell him how much we loved him....Thanks so much for your thoughts, prayers and love!!
      HUgs,
      Deb

      Delete
  9. “Lord, we know that You are the God who comforts us. I pray that You provide a time of comfort and rest for those whose hearts are hurting right now. Hold them in Your embrace, Father. Wrap them in Your love and remind them that though they may have lost someone dear, they are not alone, for You are with them." Please accept my deepest condolences on the loss of Joe, and my prayers for you and all your family at this sad time for all of you. May God's loving arms surround you all and bring you peace and strength.
    Dawn P. Albany, GA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn,
      Thanks so much for your prayers for myself and my family during this difficult time...It is gratefully appreciated...
      Hugs,
      Deb

      Delete
  10. One day at a time, my friend. I am so deeply sorry for the loss, the suddenness of it all, the sadness that comes with it. I am grateful only for the fact that his end was peaceful and filled with love, family, good memories and knowing how deeply he was loved by you all. Yes, there were many gifts in those last weeks and his memory will remain alive in your stories and pictures and memories. Write them down for those little girls so they know their grandpa when they get older. I send deep wishes for peace and healing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Debbie, I am so sorry for the passing of Joe. I am sending thoughts and prayers to you and the family during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was sorry to read this, Debbie. Sounds like God was gracious to you during these weeks and I will continue to keep you in prayer. Hugs to you as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PJ,
      It was a blessing that we were able to say Good Bye and tell him how much we loved him....I was denied that when my Dad died suddenly so I was grateful for getting that chance to do so with Joe....Thank you for your continued prayers..
      Hugs,
      Deb

      Delete
  13. My most heartfelt sympathy to you and your family. Saying good bye is never easy, but what a gift it was that you and your family could tell Joe how much he was loved and how much he will be missed. Wishing you comfort and peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I definitely was a Gift...Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and for your continued prayers...
      Hugs,
      Deb

      Delete
  14. My sincere sympathy on Joe's passing. I have been a long-time reader of your blog. Like others will say, I feel that I know both you and Joe as friends. Your post brought tears to my eyes, as it brought back memories of taking care of my parents in their last years. Your perspective is one worth keeping and sharing with others who are going through the same thing. God bless you and your family. Linda in AZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      Thanks so much for your very kind words and for your prayers... Together, we will make it through this and we will be stronger because of it!!
      Hugs,
      Deb

      Delete
  15. Debbie, I was so saddened to hear this news. I hope with time the good and happy memories eclipse the grief you're feeling now. Thank you for sharing your life and blog with us all these years--it's a source of comfort and joy and appreciated by many, whether we express it frequently or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so very much for your very kind and comforting words.... We are already remembering many good times and by doing so, we will keep Joe alive!!
      Hugs,
      Deb

      Delete
  16. Dear Debbie, please accept my deepest condolences on Joe's passing. Your strength was certainly an inspiration to your family and the love you shared would have been such a comfort to all. Take care of yourself too; you are in our thoughts. Judy in Australia 🇦🇺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy,
      Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and for your kind words...It means a lot to us...
      Hugs,
      Deb

      Delete
  17. Bless you, Debbie. Sending prayers for you and your family and a big hug. I know God is giving you strength. xo Deb

    ReplyDelete
  18. I’m so sorry.
    Your quotes here are very inspiring to me.
    We lost my husband’s day this month as well and the Hospice center was very helpful.

    Take it easy.

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Debbie, thank you for emailing me and letting me know about Joe's home-going. Praying you will feel the presence of the Lord and His comfort during this time! I'll be featuring your post this week, in honor of you and Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A moving and eloquent tribute to someone you’ve clearly truly loved. God be with you,
    His mercies endure forever.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My sincere sympathy to you, Debbie. May you find strength in your next stage of living.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was so sorry to hear about your loss, Debbie. You and your family will remain in my prayers. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Adding my prayers to all the others who continue to lift you and your family up, Debbie. I'm so thankful you were able to say goodbye and have been comforted by the outpouring of love and support. While I never met Joe in person I always looked forward to hearing about your many adventures together. He was definitely a treasure and I know he'll be dearly missed. Sending you lots of hugs and love as you work through the grief process. May you find comfort and healing in each day, CoCo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Debbie I am so sorry to read this news. I saw this on another blog. Sending you and your family and granddaughters much love from Colorado, laura

    ReplyDelete
  25. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, Debbie! I am a new reader to your blog (found you on a recent link party) and I've been inspired by your faith and resolve as you've faced so much during these past months and weeks. I pray that in the coming days as you celebrate Joe and all he meant to each of you that your memories will bring peace and comfort to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so sorry. I'm glad you and your family were able to spend quality time with Joe, and that is indeed a special gift. God Bless you, Debbie.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to read your comments and opinions!!
I will try to respond to your comment as quickly as I can either on your Blog, through an email address or here on the posts where you commented if I cannot find any other way to contact you!!
If you are a vendor and insist upon leaving a comment with a link back to a website, it will be deleted immediately as I check my comment several times a day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...