I am a Victorian Soul, live in a small townhouse that was built in the mid 1970's, not a huge Mega Mansion, with my Hubby Joe, who is a Retired Letter Carrier. I worked night shift as an RN on a Hospital based Rehabilitation( Physical Medicine) Unit for 37 years before I had Knee Replacement Surgery and officially Retired in 2019 after 41 years working in Direct Patient Care ... I am LOVING Retirement!!!!

I DABBLE IN A BIT OF THIS AND THAT!!!!

" IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN"
George Eliot
George Eliot was actually a pen name for a woman named Mary Anne Evans......

BLOGGING FOR FUN AND FRIENDSHIP!!!!!!

Saturday, March 16, 2019

Joe's Whimpies ( Sloppy Joe's)

   Welcome to Debbie-Dabble Blog!!
I am so happy you decided to stop by!!

A few posts back, I promised to share Joe's Whimpie Recipe......

You may know them as Sloppy Joe's but in this part of NEPA, they are called Whimpies!!

Why?????

I have no idea!!

When I first started dating Joe who lived about  a  25- 30 minute drive from my parent's home, I was very confused when Joe's Mother called them Barbecues......

To me, a Barbecue was sliced pork or turkey with relish sauce on a bun.......
Stock Photo

What do you call them in your "Neck of the Woods"?????

But first, let me Thank Bev, over at Eclectic Red Barn , for featuring my Beef  Stew Recipe, from last week's Thursday Favorite Things party!!!
Thanks so much, Bev!!

Please stop by and link up to this charming party!!

Joe is well known for his Whimpies since he has made them for different fund raising events at our church and they have been enjoyed by many!!

I am going to give you his basic recipe but when he made this batch, he tripled the recipe because we gave a huge container to our son Jim and his wife Danielle and we froze 2 containers for ourselves...

2 lbs. of ground beef........
Joe browns the beef in the pot that he will use for all the ingredients......

1 red pepper, chopped finely.......
1 green pepper and one onion........

We cheat and buy these packages of already chopped onion and peppers from Wegman's!!!
It saves a lot of time and teary eyes!!
There are several containers here because Joe is making a triple batch.....
After adding the peppers and onion and browning the meat, making sure the vegetables are tender......

Joe adds these ingredients next...........
4 tbsp. of Mustard

9 oz. of Honey Barbecue Sauce

1 Tbsp. of Ketchup

4 tbsp. of Sweet Green Relish

4 Tbsp. of Dill Relish

1 tbsp. of Worcestershire Sauce......
Season mixture with garlic salt, pepper and salt........

Simmer , covered, stirring frequently, for at least 2-3 hours........
 Joe does drain some of the "grease" off........
You can eat Whimpies plain on a bun.........
I like to melt a slice of cheese on the bun before adding the meat mixture.....
Our son Jim can down 4 of these in one sitting where our son Joey will not touch them with a 10 foot pole because there is vegetables in them!!

LOL!!

They freeze nicely in a freezer container for future meals......

It was 2 years ago ( March 14th, 2017)  this week that we had our all time highest Snow fall and Blizzard, surpassing the Blizzard of 1993 which also ocurred in March........
  I drove home from work that morning in white out conditions.........

There already was a foot of snow on the ground when I got home.......
By the time it was all over, there was 22 inches of snow at our house!!!!
 Joe and I both worked hard to shovel out!!
This was the second Blizzard in my life time that we had in March so Winter is definitely not over here until at least April......
We had a few days of unseasonable high warm temps. here for the past few days.......

Yesterday, it hit 70 degrees which was a fluke because our normal high temp. for this time of the year is about 46 degrees........

I took a few pictures of the snow and ice melting off our awning in the back of the house.....
I loved how it was hanging over the awning......
As it melted, it did come crashing down on to the Patio......
 This week, our high temps. are predicted to only be in the 40's with low's in the 20's!!!
Hopefully, we will not get anymore snow this Season but I do remember my Mother always talking about one St. Patrick's Day in the 1940's or 50's, when our area got a foot of snow!!!

Only Mother Nature knows......

I hope you will come back to visit again soon.....

Thanks to those who took the time out of their busy day to spend a little bit of time with me!!

If you do not have a blog, PLEASE  give me some way to reply to your comment, maybe by including your email in your comment.  If I can not find a way to reach you, I will reply on the post where you commented so please check back......

  I am linking up to these parties:

SUNDAY
Snickerdoodle Sunday
 Sundays at Home
 Silver Pennies Sunday
 Happiness is Homemade Linky Party
Nifty Thrifty Sunday
The Fabulous Party

 MONDAY 
Inspire Me Monday
Inspiration Mondays
 Dishing It and Digging It Link Party
Busy Monday
Cooking and Crafting with J & J
Metamorphosis Monday
Project Inspired Weekly Link Party
 Celebrate Your Story Monday Night Link Party! 
Make It Pretty Monday
Heart and Soul Link Up

 TUESDAY
 Tuesdays At Our Home
Inspire Me Tuesdays

Ducks in a Row Wonderful Wednesdays Blog Hop
Sizzle into Summer Party
Talk of the Town Party
Party in Your PJ's
Dream Create Inspire Link
 Waste Not Wednesday
Style Showcase

THURSDAY
Vintage Charm
Home and Garden Party Thursday
 Share Your Style Thursday Link Up Party
  Inspired Creations Linky Party
Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop 
 Grace at Home Party

FRIDAY
Friday Features Linky Party
  Feathered Nest Friday
 Funtastic Friday
 Friday Favorites
 Home Matters Linky Party
   Flaunt It Fridays
  Sweet Inspirations Link Party
 
 SATURDAY
 Saturday Sparks
 Pink Saturday-Anything Goes!!
Best of the Weekend Party

Please take some time to visit these terrific hosts and all those joining in on the fun!

17 comments:

  1. Looks delicious, Debbie. A proper meal.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Sweet loved Sloppy Joes, too...me, not that much. My recipe was much like Joe's...
    Whimpies are hamburgers to me...with ground beef.
    There was a cartoon guy in with Popeye named Wimpy....and he loved hamburgers with a passion...this is what Whimpie means to me. When Bill was in college...there was a little burger stand across the street. Loving hamburgers like he did, he would order 2 or 3 of the smaller burgers...his friends started calling him Wimpy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We call them Sloppy Joes here. I've never made home made ones before and I am definitely going to make Joe's recipe. My hubby will probably like these better than the canned which I will make in a pinch. You just cannot beat homemade! Thanks for the recipe and have a great weekend, Debbie. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not something that I have come across before, but they look delicious. All that snow, I am so glad we don't get those amounts of it here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum!! Wish I was close enough to come for supper!!��
    I do love "sloppy joes", although I've never made them from scratch but Joe's recipe sure is an incentive.
    And I do hope y'all don't have many more winter days. Such an early spring down here, everything is blooming. And allergies have kicked in, if course..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      Thanks so much for stopping by!! We have had snow here into April!! So even though Spring is right around the corner, it may be a little further around the corner here.... LOL!!
      Hugs,
      Deb

      Delete
  6. Back in 2006, 7 and 8 it seemed like every Easter Sunday we had a snowstorm when we were in Central Texas. Mother Nature is truly a fickle lady. Hoping we have a great summer after all this cold weather we've endured.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Debbie! Joe's "Whimpies" sound and look delicious and I can't wait to try his recipe. We call them "Sloppy Joe's" here in Maine and, I think, most of New England. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Happy St. Pat's Day! ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joe's Whimpies are similar to my own. We call them Sloppy Joes here in Wisconsin. A BBQ to me is just like the one you shared and now I am hungry for a BBQ AND a Whimpie! lol I wonder if there was a local eatery that was called Whimpies or something? I never heard that term even in upper PA. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW at he snow! Girl...that's lots of white fluff. We call them sloppy joes. Matter of fact I have not a sloppy joe in a while. Love your recipe too! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love sloppy joes as we call them. I'll take a wimpy too. They look sooo good! When we were young we had the mixture served over rice too.
    Now I will have to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. I could not find any other way to respond to your kind comment so i am doing so here!!
      Thanks so much for stopping by!!
      Hugs,
      Debbie

      Delete
  12. Yum! That looks delicious. I haven't had a sloppy joe for a long time! And, yes, I've always heard them called sloppy joes. :) I agree with you on the "barbecue" term. Thanks for sharing this recipe at #heartandsoullinkup

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sent a comment earlier and forgot to ask, how are you gonna get to your home after knee surgery? That is a lot of steps. Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, that looks and sounds delicious! We call them Sloppy Joes here, but I have only made them with canned sauce! Yum, I am so hungry right now would love to have one of those Whimpies! Thanks for sharing at Thursday Favorite Things!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to read your comments and opinions!!
I will try to respond to your comment as quickly as I can either on your Blog, through an email address or here on the posts where you commented if I cannot find any other way to contact you!!
If you are a vendor and insist upon leaving a comment with a link back to a website, it will be deleted immediately as I check my comment several times a day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...