I am a Victorian Soul, live in a small townhouse that was built in the mid 1970's, not a huge Mega Mansion, with my Hubby Joe, who is a Retired Letter Carrier. I worked night shift as an RN on a Hospital based Rehabilitation( Physical Medicine) Unit for 37 years before I had Knee Replacement Surgery and officially Retired in 2019 after 41 years working in Direct Patient Care ... I am LOVING Retirement!!!!

I DABBLE IN A BIT OF THIS AND THAT!!!!

" IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN"
George Eliot
George Eliot was actually a pen name for a woman named Mary Anne Evans......

BLOGGING FOR FUN AND FRIENDSHIP!!!!!!

Friday, July 12, 2019

Lighting the Way to Our Home

 Welcome to Debbie-Dabble Blog!!

I am so happy you decided to stop by!!

In my last post, I shared one side of our Colorful Summer Patio.....
 Click HERE if you missed that post......

Even though I had planned to share the other side of our Colorful Summer Patio as my next post, I could not wait to show you what I have been up to!!!

But first, I want to Thank these Hosts who were kind enough to feature my post, A Flower Bed or Two, from last week's Linky Parties......
 Thanks to Kathy, over at A Delightsome Life,  for featuring it from last week's Home and Garden Party!!
 Thanks so much, Kathy!!

And Thanks to Bev, over at Eclectic Red Barn, for featuring it from last week's Thursday Favorite Things Party!!!
 
 Thanks again, Bev!!

And I also want to Thank Cecelia, over at My Thrift Store Addiction, for featuring my post, Wreaths, Embroidery, Garden Containers, A Moth and Another Amazing Sunset, where she showcased my succulent container......
  From last week's Vintage Charm Party!!
Thanks so much, Cecelia!!!

Please stop by and link up to these wonderful parties!!

I have been contemplating making a Light House out of clay pots for about the past 4-5 years now but Time simply did not allow it.....

I have been researching this project for quite awhile now and pinning different Clay Pot Light Houses that I like on Pinterest....

At first, I thought I would make one for our back yard.....

But as I put it together and saw what it looked like once I finished it, even Joe agreed that it should go in the front of the house on our Front Porch!!!!

I was lucky enough to buy 3 clay pots at a new store in our area called Ocean State Job Lot.....

The 3 different sizes were $1.00, $2.00 and $3.00 respectively....

Cheap enough!!

I started by spray painting all the pots white.....

I did not want to buy any new paint so I looked in our Storage room and decided to use what I had.....

I painted the rim of the large pot with black gloss paint....
And the 2 smaller pot rims a gloss red.......

It took 2 coats of paint......

I next found a clay saucer that I had outside and painted that red and black.....
This is the look that I wanted.....
I cut out patterns for windows and a door using a glass and a salt shaker....
I then traced them on to the pots.....
 Before I go any further, I have to mention that I did this project in our Dining Room downstairs in the air conditioning because the window in my Craft Room upstairs is too small to fit an air conditioner in and we have had temps. in the 90's with dew points in the 70's which is considered tropical!!!

Way too hot for me!!

Next, I painted windows around all 3 pots......
I am no painter and I do NOT have a steady hand so I went for simple!!!
The circles were painted black.....
 With simple white crosses to make them look like windows!!
 And I painted windows all around the pots.....
 Next, I painted a door on both sides of the larger pot.....
I then painted another clay saucer black around the rim....
So I could put it together like this.....
You will see the reason why I did this soon......

I went back to Ocean State Job Lot store which I must say has the largest collection of clay pots in all different shapes and sizes that I have ever seen, and I bought this for $6.50.....
I did have to buy a can of blue spray paint......
I thought this would be the perfect base for the Light House......
Now it was time to glue everything together.....

I used E 6000 glue to adhere the pots together......
And I used a level to be sure everything was level and my light house was not going to look like a leaning tower.....

I glued these together.....
Making sure they were also level......
And then glued the smaller pot to the middle one......
I knew exactly what type of solar light that I wanted to top off my Light House and I was lucky to find exactly what I was looking for in Dollar General for $6.00!!!!
And the nice thing about this solar light is that it could be hung or used with a stake in the ground so the stake simply had to be pulled out, allowing the solar light to be placed flush on top of the clay saucers!!
I glued the solar light to the top clay saucers and it fit perfectly......

It was about this time that I realized how tall and how heavy this was going to be so I decided not to glue the 2 smaller pots to the large one so it could be taken apart and stored in a box more easily during the Winter months.......

Next I had to decide how I was going to spruce up my Light House a bit so I got out my stash of shells that came from my dear neighbor Elly, who painstakingly picked them on Miami Beach when she lived there during the Winters and cleaned and separated them all by size!!!!

You may remember that Elly's sons were going to throw them out and I rescued them and used them to make them into ornaments for my "Under the Sea" Tree that i set up in the Living Room after the 4th of July.....
I picked out a variety of shells and glued them to the solar light.....
And the rims of the pots......
I used both E 6000 and a glue gun to glue the shells to the pots......
This is another reason why I decided not to glue all the pots together......
I decided to glue river rocks that I bought at Dollar General for $1.00 a bag to the base of the Light House....
I glued small shells in between the rocks but did not go all around the base like some versions on Pinterest showed because it would weigh a ton and I was afraid we would need a hand truck just to move it!!!
But before I set it up in the place on the front porch where I wanted it, I had one more thing to do......

I brought the 2 parts outside and sprayed them with a clear sealer since it will be on the porch which is exposed to the elements......

 When I sprayed the base with the sealer, the rocks took on a shiny appearance, almost like they were wet which I was thrilled about because the blue base is supposed to look like the Sea......
 And this is where I decided to put it.....
So that it Lights the Way to Our Home!!!
It fits in well with the red, orange and yellow color theme I have on the Front Porch both in decor and in the color of flowers that I planted......
Now you can see why I painted windows all around the Light House.....
Placed here it will shine light when walking to our front door.....
I did not want to put it out in the yard in the mulch......
At least here, it will be protected a bit from the Sun and all the rain that we have been getting......
Since I used some things that I already had, the total cost of this project was only $25.50!!

$12.50 for the clay pots
$5.00 for blue spray paint
$6.00 for the Solar Light
$2.00 for 2 bags of River Rocks
And this is the reason why I painted 2 doors on the Light House.....
You can see the back of it when you walk up the steps from our parking lot to the side walk that leads to our house......
I guess you can say this is the back door!!
I am thrilled with how this project turned out!!!
So much so that I will be making another smaller version for inside the house to match my "Under the Sea" decor and Tree.....

And to think that some people actually asked me what will I do with myself once I am retired and not working!!!

Silly People!!!
I hope you enjoyed seeing how I put my Light House together as much as I did sharing it with you!!!
And I hope you will stop by to visit again soon!!

Thanks to those who took the time out of their busy day to spend a little bit of time with me!!

If you do not have a blog, PLEASE  give me some way to reply to your comment, maybe by including your email in your comment.  If I can not find a way to reach you, I will reply on the post where you commented so please check back......

  I am linking up to these parties:

Celebrate Summer Link Party

SUNDAY
Snickerdoodle Sunday
Silver Pennies Sunday
Happiness is Homemade Linky Party

 MONDAY 
Inspire Me Monday
Love Your Creativity Link Party
Busy Monday

 TUESDAY
Tuesdays At Our Home
Inspire Me Tuesdays
Ducks in a Row Wonderful Wednesdays Blog Hop
Sizzle into Summer Party
Talk of the Town Party
Party in Your PJ's
Waste Not Wednesday
Style Showcase
Wall to Wall DIY Wednesday Link Up Party
A Gathering of Friends Link Party, every 2nd and 4th Tuesday

THURSDAY
Vintage Charm
Home and Garden Party Thursday
Share Your Style Thursday Link Up Party
Inspired Creations Linky Party
Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop 
Grace at Home Party
The Homemaking Party

FRIDAY
Friday Features Linky Party
Friday Favorites
Home Matters Linky Party
Flaunt It Fridays
Weekend Blog Hop
 Funtastic Friday

 SATURDAY
Saturday Sparks
Pink Saturday-Anything Goes!!
Best of the Weekend Party

Please take some time to visit these terrific hosts and all those joining in on the fun!

26 comments:

  1. What an adorable creative lighthouse. I love it. You really come through on this project. I love everything about it. I especially like where you put it. And you thought of every angle, how it will look. You really thought of everything. You should be proud of your creative work. Retirement. . . you are going to enjoy and love all creativity you have time to do. Hugs, Karie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great make, you are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How clever, Debbie! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love, LOVE this!!!! My hubs is a lighthouse nut...so he and I are going to make some like this! You are so inspiring!!!

    Hugs,
    NIna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nina,
      I could not get in touch with you any other way so I am responding here....Thanks so much for your kind words and thanks for taking the time to visit!! I am so glad that you liked this post about my little light house project!!
      Hugs,
      Deb

      Delete
  5. I love your lighthouse. Could you show a picture of it lit up at night?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary,
      Thanks so much for stopping by!! I will share a picture of the lighthouse lit up in my next post...It will be about new rugs in the Living Room...
      Hugs,
      Deb

      Delete
  6. fabulous job on your lighthouse, nice that you found somewhere with all the sizes, love the added rocks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! Look at your crafty self! Loving that light house!!!! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. The lighthouse is so cute! I am going to have to make one with the grand girls. I love that!
    It's hot as the dickens here, terrible.
    betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness dear friend, you are so talented ! The homemade lighthouse came out awesome, who would imagine how you did it ! Your front yard for the Summer is gorgeous Debbie !
    Thank you for your kind and smart comment on my blogging struggle, as we both have gone thru the same feelings. I can relate to what you write. I just posted something on it, a sort of a decision hubby made me see.
    Big hugs,
    Fabby

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did a great job making that lighthouse out of clay pots Debbie! I love it and you are so talented and creative. It looks great on your porch.
    Have a nice day and week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It turned out beautifully! I made one several years ago, but have seen much better ones since then and have been planning on making a new one. I really love the lantern you put on top, and the river rocks. I will definitely be using this for my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherryl,
      Thanks so much for stopping by and for your kind words!! I could not find any other way to get in touch with you so I am doing so here. I was lucky enough to find the exct type of solar light that i was looking for!!
      Hugs,
      Deb

      Delete
  12. I can't believe you made that light house. So creative! It's darling.
    #creativeinspirationslinky

    ReplyDelete
  13. That lighthouse is such a creative use of pots. Thanks for sharing at the Weekend Blog Hop at My Flagstaff Home. --Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your lighthouse. Very creative with the solar light on the top. You did a great job. I like the windows. Have a good weekend. Thelma.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your lighthouse is just darling, Debbie! Thank you for sharing at Party In Your PJ's!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the lighthouse and other shell crafts! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Debbie, your lighthouse is wonderful! Thanks for the shout-out and for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my, this lighthouse is so cute! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy,
      Thanks so much for stopping by and for taking the time to leave such a kind comment!! I could not get in touch with you any other way so I am doing so here...
      Hugs,
      Deb

      Delete
  19. Debbie,
    I just love this lighthouse. So adorable. Congrats, you are being featured on Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop.
    https://eclecticredbarn.blogspot.com/2019/07/wonderful-wednesday-blog-hop_23.html
    Hugs,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brilliant!!! Pun totally intended, Debbie. ;) I love your lighthouse with its two backdoors and your garden is lovely there!!! I'm so glad you shared this at Share Your Style so it could be featured here in the summer. I don't know if you correspond with Thelma up in Quebec,Canada, but she has a series on her blog Thelma's Days (or Thel's Days) where she tours the coast and shares the lights there. You and your readers would probably enjoy visiting her site!

    Happily shared (and ready to make one!) at this week's SYS #217,
    Barb :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is so, so cute. Great job. It's featured over at my place, today. I just adore it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cute lighthouse and also the beachy ornaments! I love nautical type crafts. Thanks for stopping by and linking up #GatheringofFriendsLinkParty 3

    ReplyDelete

I always love to read your comments and opinions!!
I will try to respond to your comment as quickly as I can either on your Blog, through an email address or here on the posts where you commented if I cannot find any other way to contact you!!
If you are a vendor and insist upon leaving a comment with a link back to a website, it will be deleted immediately as I check my comment several times a day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...