I am a Victorian Soul, live in a small townhouse that was built in the mid 1970's, not a huge Mega Mansion, with my Hubby Joe, who is a Retired Letter Carrier. I worked night shift as an RN on a Hospital based Rehabilitation( Physical Medicine) Unit for 37 years before I had Knee Replacement Surgery and officially Retired in 2019 after 41 years working in Direct Patient Care ... I am LOVING Retirement!!!!

I DABBLE IN A BIT OF THIS AND THAT!!!!

" IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN"
George Eliot
George Eliot was actually a pen name for a woman named Mary Anne Evans......

BLOGGING FOR FUN AND FRIENDSHIP!!!!!!

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Lamps and Shades in My New "Sitting Room"

I have been dabbling with the lighting in my new Sitting Room.......

But first, I want to Thank these hostesses for featuring my post, A Refection of My Cottage Garden, from last week's parties!!

Thanks to Kathy, over at A Delightsome Life, for featuring it from last week's Home and Garden Party!!
Thanks so much , Kathy!!

I also want to Thank Stacey, over at Embracing Change, for featuring it from last week's Creative Inspirations Linky Party!!
Thanks so much, Stacey!!

Please stop by ad link up to these great parties!!

I have been working hard over the last month on changing our Guest Room into a Sitting Room.

Now that I have finished painting all the furniture and decorative items, I have been working on the final touches.

In this post, I will share how I chose to light this room which is important as I hope to do a lot of reading in this room.....

I renamed this room the Sitting Room but Joe keeps calling it the Library as I moved all my books into this room!!

I decided to "dabble' with some lamp shades......
I have a lot of trims, fringes, beads and ribbon flowers left over from the Victorian style crafts that I made and sold......
So I decided to embellish some plain lamp shades and create my own Victorian style lamp shades.....
I added trims, beads, fringe and ribbon roses in the colors of rose, blue, ivory and a light gold to match the colors that I chose for this room.....
I used 2 different fringes and beads to the bottom of the shade.......
The lamp itself is a vintage capodimonte lamp that was given to me by an older friend who was an antique dealer.....
  I do have a "thing" for vintage lamps!
It is a lamp that uses a 3 way bulb and will cast a lot of light!!
Over in the corner, next to my new recliner......
Is another vintage lamp......
I embellished the lamp shade for this lamp using similar trims, fringes, beads and ribbon roses as the other one.....
Again in the colors of ivory, blue, rose and light gold.....
This lamp also uses a 3 way bulb..........
Joe then moved the swag lamp from here, where it hung above the bed when I had a bed in this room... .....
 Over to here, hanging right above my new recliner which I decided to position in front of the only small window in this room to take advantage of the natural light ......
I had bought several ceiling medallions at a local Thrift Shop a few years ago and had one left so I spray painted it white and then dry brushed blue paint on to it to match the other one in the place where the lamp originally hung . I left that one there.
I entwined a rose garland around the chain........
I added a bow to the top to hide the yellow from the ceiling since I stuck the medallion to the ceiling using double sided tape......
I bought this lamp at an Estate Sale in our neighborhood a few years ago.......
This lamp will be perfect when I sit in my recliner to read......
The curio in the corner was my neighbors and this is the only piece of furniture in the room which will remain as is and will not be painted white....
To the right of the recliner are 2 book cases.......
This is the top of the book case that my Dad made before I was even born........
I have used a vintage hobnail milk glass lamp here for just a bit more light.....
And I have added some ambient lighting to my faux fire place mantel.....
At one end of the mantel is lighted cottage plate........
And at the other end is a lighted Victorian House plate.....
In the middle of the mantel is a candle light ........
I made the shade for it........
In the "fire box" of the faux fire place........
This lamp was a mere $1.00 on Clearance at The Christmas Tree Shop several years ago!!
The mirror which was a dumpster find of Joe's doubles the lights in the "fire box"!
For the Summer, I have a strand of multicolored Dragon Fly LED battery operated lights from Dollar Tree  in the floral arrangement that I made......
 As part of the transformation into a Sitting Room from a Guest Room, I have been painting and painting!!!!

If you missed my post about A Few Paint Transformations.......
   Please click HERE

Painting several pieces of furniture that were of different finishes and in different condition was the best way to make all the pieces look a bit more uniform......

If you missed my post on my Faux Fire Place Transformation......
 Please click HERE

I have also been doing some sewing...........
  And I even re- upholstered this chair for my new Sitting Room.....
 So I hope you will be back to visit again when I share one more post before the final Reveal of my new Sitting Room!!!

    I hope you will also take some time to visit my Christmas Blog, A Debbie-Dabble Christmas, where I am posting, celebrating Christmas in July!!
 To see my post on The Spirit of Christmas Books 9-12, please click HERE

And thanks to those who took the time out of their busy day to spend a little bit of time with me!!

If you do not have a blog, PLEASE  give me some way to reply to your comment, maybe by including your email in your comment.  If I can not find a way to reach you, I will reply on the post where you commented so please check back......

Hugs,
Debbie
 
I will be linking up to these parties!!

SUNDAY
Share It One More Time Sundays
Snickerdoodle Sunday
Bouquet of Talent Linky Party
 Sundays at Home
 Silver Pennies Sunday
 Happiness is Homemade Linky Party

MONDAY
Inspiration Mondays
Busy Monday
What'd You Do This Weekend?
Cooking and Crafting with J & J
Metamorphosis Monday
Blue Monday
Tea Time,Cottage and Garden Blog Party
Make It Pretty Monday

TUESDAY
Show and Share Party
No Place Like Home Party
Wake Up Wednesdays
Ducks in a Row Wonderful Wednesdays Blog Hop
Wow Us Wednesday
Sizzle into Summer Party
Talk of the Town Party
Party in Your PJ's
Dream Create Inspire Link
Creative Sparks Link Party

THURSDAY
The Homemaking Party
It's a Party
Share Your Style Thursday Link Up Party
Home and Garden Party Thursday
Share Your Cup Thursday
Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop
Inspired Creations Linky Party
My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday
Idea Box- Thursday Linky Party
 Thoughts of Home on Thursday
Grace at Home Party
Vintage Charm
Creative Ways Link Party

FRIDAY
Simple and Sweet Fridays
The Creative Exchange
Home Sweet Home Friday
Friday Features Linky Party
Foodie Friday and Everything Else
Home Matters Linky Party
Funtastic Friday
Friday Favorites
What To Do Weekends
Friday's Five Features Party
Flaunt It Fridays
Five Star Frou Frou Party

SATURDAY
Pink Saturday-Anything Goes!!
Best of the Weekend Party
The Creative Collection Link Party
Simple Saturdays Blog Hop
Saturday Sparks



Please take some time to visit these terrific hosts and all those joining in on the fun!

20 comments:

  1. Ohhhh how very pretty.....love the pink hat...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely!!! Great post! Happy sunday! Kisses:))

    xxBasia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your "new" lampshades are gorgeous Debbie! What a great repurpose of a seldom used room, you will really enjoy it now. It has been pretty hot here in NM, but with little to no humidity it's not too bad. hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the lampshades are lovely. What a great and feminine room. I love all things girlie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you sure had some lovely trim and it made for beautiful decorating of the lamp shades. Gave them a wonderful vintage feel and went great with the bases! I love the rose garland to cover the chain for the light, that is a great idea and the flowers are so pretty. I love the new timer candles that are out, I have bought a couple, it is so nice to just set them and have them come on automatically.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sitting room is just lovely my friend. And oh I do that Christmas tree in July. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful lamp and shade Debbie :)

    Thanks for stopping by and linking up

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbie, I LOVE how your lampshade turned out! I've been looking at the Victorian lampshades that are being sold and the prices are $$$. . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debbie, Your lampshades are gorgeous! Such pretty trims and colors! You did a beautiful job. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Brag About It! Most of all I hope you enjoy your new sitting room! Take care of you and Joe!
    ~Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a beautiful Victorian room with all of your feminine pretties in one spot! I love the soft yellow paint color and that lamp shade is to die for!!

    Happy Thoughts of Home. Pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those lampshades speak "Debbie" with over the top and gorgeousness! The lamps are beautiful and your friend was so generous to gift you with an antique Campodimonte! Your sitting room is a special place for relaxing in your new recliner and enjoying the things you love around you. For various reasons, I have been suffering from a severe lack of motivation this summer and I hope to get back into the swing of things soon. Visiting your blog is always a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have an obsession with lights, so I loved this! :)

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for crafts, recipes, and tips: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Debbie, your sitting room/library is coming along nicely, the lamp shades with the fringe are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad to see that little collection of bears. I told you I would send you some stuff as I purge. I have some things put into a box already and now I am going to add a little bear or two.

    Thanks for sharing with SYC.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've been busy, but I love all of your projects! Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely pictures! Have a great weekend <3

    Blessings,
    Edye | Http://gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing - #HomeMattersParty

    Julie
    LiveFromJuliesHouse.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think you have captured the victorian look with your embellishments...Great Job!! Thanks for sharing on My 2 favorite Things on Thursday! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Debbie! Thanks so much for linking up all your posts with us at Vintage Charm. You are such a creative lady :) I enjoyed seeing all of your sitting room lighting--nice work on your newly decorated shades!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to read your comments and opinions!!
I will try to respond to your comment as quickly as I can either on your Blog, through an email address or here on the posts where you commented if I cannot find any other way to contact you!!
If you are a vendor and insist upon leaving a comment with a link back to a website, it will be deleted immediately as I check my comment several times a day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...