I am a Victorian Soul, who lives in a small townhouse that was built in the mid 1970's, not a huge Mega Mansion!! I just recently lost my Hubby Joe, who was a Retired Letter Carrier. I worked night shift as an RN on a Hospital based Rehabilitation( Physical Medicine) Unit for 37 years before I had Knee Replacement Surgery and officially Retired in 2019 after 41 years working in Direct Patient Care ... I am so glad that we retired at 62 years of age and got to spend that time together before he passed....I still do love Retirement!!!!

I DABBLE IN A BIT OF THIS AND THAT!!!!

" IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN"
George Eliot
George Eliot was actually a pen name for a woman named Mary Anne Evans......

BLOGGING FOR FUN AND FRIENDSHIP!!!!!!

Friday, May 26, 2023

Memorial Day Front Porch with Flowers Finally Planted!!!


 

 

 

 

 

 Welcome to Debbie-Dabble Blog!!

 
I am so happy you decided to stop by!!
 
 
I am now posting TWICE  a week !!!
 
 I will be posting on MONDAY and FRIDAY!
 
 
As always, click on each picture if you would like to enlarge it....
 
 
Today, I will be sharing how I planted my Annuals in the front yard and on the Front Porch and also how I changed the porch, decorating it for Memorial Day....

 
 
 
Memorial Day is an Observance, NOT a Celebration....

It is NOT a Holiday to honor ALL Veteran's ........

 
It is Veteran's Day or Armistice Day, which honors all Veterans still living ....

Memorial Day was also never intended as a Holiday to honor all those in our families who have passed away......

Memorial Day was set aside to ONLY remember and honor the Fallen Soldiers of War.....

It is a Remembrance and a solemn Holiday and was never intended to be a Celebration......

The time to Celebrate is on the 4th of July, the Birthday of our Country.....

 
Most Americans have forgotten the difference between the 2 Holidays.....

So when you do "celebrate" Memorial Day, celebrate it as the unofficial start of Summer, but please remember what this day was truly set aside for.......
 
 
 
How did Memorial Day come to be????

Early Observances of Memorial Day

"The Civil War, which ended in the spring of 1865, claimed more lives than any conflict in U.S. history and required the establishment of the country’s first national cemeteries.

By the late 1860s, Americans in various towns and cities had begun holding springtime tributes to these countless fallen soldiers, decorating their graves with flowers and reciting prayers."

Decoration Day

"On May 5, 1868, General John A. Logan, leader of an organization for Northern Civil War veterans, called for a nationwide day of remembrance later that month. “The 30th of May, 1868, is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers, or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country during the late rebellion, and whose bodies now lie in almost every city, village and hamlet churchyard in the land,” he proclaimed.

 The date of Decoration Day, as he called it, was chosen because it wasn’t the anniversary of any particular battle.

 On the first Decoration Day, General James Garfield made a speech at Arlington National Cemetery, and 5,000 participants decorated the graves of the 20,000 Civil War soldiers buried there.

Many Northern states held similar commemorative events and reprised the tradition in subsequent "years; by 1890 each one had made Decoration Day an official state holiday. Southern states, on the other hand, continued to honor the dead on separate days until after World War I."

History of Memorial Day

"Memorial Day, as Decoration Day gradually came to be known, originally honored only those lost while fighting in the Civil War. But during World War I the United States found itself embroiled in another major conflict, and the holiday evolved to commemorate American military personnel who died in all wars, including World War II, The Vietnam War, The Korean War and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

For decades, Memorial Day continued to be observed on May 30, the date General Logan had selected for the first Decoration Day. But in 1968, Congress passed the Uniform Monday Holiday Act, which established Memorial Day as the last Monday in May in order to create a three-day weekend for federal employees. The change went into effect in 1971. The same law also declared Memorial Day a federal holiday."


  Memorial Day is more a Day of Remembrance of those who made the Ultimate Sacrifice for our Country and not really a day of "Celebration" like July 4th is.....

It is more of a somber, reflective Holiday....

But we can look at it as "celebrating" the lives of those who lost their lives while fighting for our Freedom....

I will be "celebrating" the lives of all who gave their life for our Country with my little family of 5.....

I hope you too get to enjoy the Holiday with those that you love....

 
In my last post, I shared the final part of my Kitchen Tour decorated for Late Spring /Early Summer.....

 

 

 


Click HERE if you missed that post!!
 
 
I first want to thank these Hosts of Link Parties!!
 
I want to Thank Debra, over at Common Ground, for choosing my post, Buys, Bees and Blazing Blooms, as one of her features from last week's All About Home Link Party!!
 

 Thanks so much, Debra!!

 I also want to Thank Niki, over at Life as a Leo Wife, for choosing my the same post, Buys, Bees and Blazing Blooms as one of her features from last week's Crafty Creator's Link Party!!
 

 Thanks again, Niki!!
 
 Plus I want to Thank Robin, over at Fluster Buster, for choosing my post, French Country Vintage Farmhouse Kitchen, Part 1, as her featured post from last week's Cluster Muster Link Party!!
 

 Thanks so much, Robin!!

 And I also want to Thank Cara, over at Vintage Style Gal, for choosing my same post, French Country Vintage Farmhouse Kitchen, Part 1. as her featured post from last week's Whimsy Home Wednesday Link Party!!
 
  
Robin is the very kind Blogger who graciously created my badges for both my blogs....
 
 
 
 
 
Thanks again, Robin , for your kindness and for the feature!!!

Thank You also to Linda, over at Crafts ala Mode, for choosing the same post, French Country Vintage Farmhouse Kitchen, Part 1,, as one of her features from last week's Thursday Favorite Things Link Party!!
 

Thanks so much, Linda!!

WOW!!

I am so honored to have my posts featured by so many hosts of different Blog parties!!

If I had been allowed to choose my profession, I was very interested in Journalism after taking a course in it in high school....

Blogging has allowed me to write  and sort of pursue that passion so I THANK everyone who reads my posts and follows me both here and on my FB page!!!

I am very honored to have you all on my life!!!
 
 

Skipping Personal Notes for this post as it will be a long one...
 
 

Last Saturday we went to a local Garden Center that has 5 Greenhouses....

It was so crowded that we had to wait for a parking space but it was worth the wait!!

I bought the flowers for the front of the house, again sticking with the red, orange and yellow color scheme that makes it easy to transition into Fall..........
 
This whole tray was only $20.....

 
 Yellow pom pom marigolds....

 
 Varigated marigolds.....

 
Orange pom pom marigolds and coleus.....
 
 
 
These were $20 for everything in this box.... 
 
 
 
 2 geraniums.....
 
 

Impatiens.....

 
2 vinca vines......


Here is what it all looks like planted......





2 orange marigolds in this pot....


Varigated marigolds planted in these Dollar Tree flower boxes that fit perfectly in front of the railing on the front porch.....


I was told by a neighbor ( the Squirrel Feeder) that our HOA does not allow anything, including my pots, on the sidewalk that runs in front of our row of townhouses in an attempt to stop me from planting my flowers I guess......

I did have permission from our late HOA President for many years but I figured that I would play his game so I not only moved all my pots off the sidewalk BUT I even added MORE pots our front.....

All on my property or front porch.....

20 containers to plant flowers in....

LMAO!!
 
 
 
 And everything NOT touching the sidewalk including garden art!!!! 

A former co worker of mine always used to say when someone would try to pick a fight with me, "They know not who they are dealing with"!!

LOL!!

So true!


 One impatien and one marigold on pots on the porch......


On the side of the porch.....


I only planted 4 coleus because I know how much they grow from previous years of planting them.....


The flower bed under the Living Room window.....


3 marigolds in each of these large round pots in the flower bed....



I stacked the smaller pots on top of the larger square pots using the black pot holders to hold them in place.......


Impatiens planted in the 4 corners of the large square pots and 2 yellow marigolds in the small square pots....


I created this planter by using the base from a bird bath, as I used the glass bowl elsewhere, and I spray painted a hanging pot black and placed it into the base which fit perfectly!!!


I planted marigolds and vinca vines in this pot....

The flower bed on top of the slope that runs in front of our row of townhouses....



3 yellow pom pom marigolds planted in this pot.....




Red impatiens in the black urn and 1 marigold in the small pot in the bike planter....






The park bench.....


Red geraniums and pom pom marigolds....







I moved this red vintage watering can from the back to the front.....

 
I planted 2 yellow marigolds in it....

Along with yellow pom pom marigolds in this pot at the end of our yard.....



So that is how the front of our house looks with all the flowers planted....
 
There was Frost in parts of northern NEPA this morning so I am glad that I held off til today to go buy my flowers for the back yard...
 
Hopefully, the threat of Frost here is now over....

This past Sunday, I changed everything over to my Patriotic decor for Memorial Day.....



 
A Patriotic Welcome Mat on the front porch.....
 
 

A Patriotic wreath that I made on the front door and a wooden wreath hanging between mine and my neighbor's house.......



 
 
 



"Proud to be an American" flag....



New this year is this wooden star....


You may remember Joe bought a wood star made by the Amish Farmer who sells produce, baked goods and cheese and other food items not far from us....

I decorated it, after painting it white, like this for Christmas....


I saw something on Pinterest and had Joe ask the Amish Farmer to make me another star....

He made me 2 and this time they were stained....

I attached one to the Amish Buggy wheel that I bought from him last year.....


I took apart this wreath that I made last year.....


I attached the bow to the top and used one of my metal stars that I normally hang on the front porch....



I am happy with how it came out.....


I hung other Patriotic signs that Joe picked up for 90% off in Big Lot's over the last few years....



 

 
 In the corner.....
 

A few more Patriotic touches...
 

 
 
 
 
 I used mini flags representing all branches of the Military....Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard along with Prisoner's of War....
 
 
 
 Flower bed under Living Room window...
 
 
 
 Patriotic and Military flags added....
 
 
 
 I also thinned out some of the ground cover sedum that I had growing in the back yard and planted some in this flower bed to help with water drainage....
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


The flower bed that runs along the sidewalk in front of our row of townhouses....


Dollar Tree star stake...


The park bench....





Patriotic mini flags....


I hope you enjoyed seeing how I planted my flowers and decorated the front of our house for Memorial Day...



I will change the front back over to my regular Summer decor after Memorial Day....

And again, not one single thing on the sidewalk.....


 But 20 containers of flowers!!

LOL!
 
I will end this post with a look at the slope in front of our house now as the blooming of the phlox is not winding down and the sedum and columbine are now starting to bloom....



 
My neighbor's hostas are the size of shrubs...


In my next post, I will be start to share my Patriotic decorations for the first half of the Summer in the Living Room....







So I hope you will stop by to visit again on MONDAY as I have lots to share!!  
 
 
 Stay safe, healthy and most of all, HAPPY!!

Thanks to those who took the time out of their busy day to spend a little bit of time with me!!

If you do not have a blog, PLEASE  give me some way to reply to your comment, maybe by including your email in your comment.  If I can not find a way to reach you, I will reply on the post where you commented so please check back......


I am linking up to these parties:
 
 
 
 
 
 Please take some time to visit these terrific hosts and all those joining in on the fun!
 

9 comments:

  1. So many festive and patriotic touches, Deb! It's such a special way to honor Memorial Day. I love all your container garden and flower beds. They're so pretty and a beautiful way to welcome the summer season. Hope your weekend is filled with all good things, CoCo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love everything. Happy Memorial Day to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are definitely decked out! It's very festive. Did you have sticker shock at the garden center? I certainly did! Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The front of your house just looks wonderful with all the colorful flowers! I would love to live across from you so I could enjoy looking out every window at your wonderful displays. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to read the difference between your 2 holidays. We just have Remembrance Day in Canada, a combination of both of your holidays. Our weather has turned nice and I was able to plant out the geraniums, tomatoes, peppers, coleus and other tender annuals. I see your home is looking lovely with all your planted things. Your front porch looks like a lovely place to sit and chat with neighbours as they pass by. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of your gardening looks wonderful. How very pretty. Happy Memorial Day to you. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very patriotic, love the wooden star! Thanks so much for linking up at the #UnlimitedLinkParty 114. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty Debbie. Your porch looks lovely. I am happy to feature your Memorial Day front porch at Love Your Creativity. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Visiting again to say thanks so much for linking up at #AThemedLinkup 154 for All Things American and Patriotic. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to read your comments and opinions!!
I will try to respond to your comment as quickly as I can either on your Blog, through an email address or here on the posts where you commented if I cannot find any other way to contact you!!
If you are a vendor and insist upon leaving a comment with a link back to a website, it will be deleted immediately as I check my comment several times a day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...