I am a Victorian Soul, live in a small townhouse that was built in the mid 1970's, not a huge Mega Mansion, with my Hubby Joe, who is a Retired Letter Carrier. I worked night shift as an RN on a Hospital based Rehabilitation( Physical Medicine) Unit for 37 years before I had Knee Replacement Surgery and officially Retired in 2019 after 41 years working in Direct Patient Care ... I am LOVING Retirement!!!!

I DABBLE IN A BIT OF THIS AND THAT!!!!

" IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN"
George Eliot
George Eliot was actually a pen name for a woman named Mary Anne Evans......

BLOGGING FOR FUN AND FRIENDSHIP!!!!!!

Thursday, July 19, 2012

More Projects, Garden Update and Great Buys!

You may remember that I bought these old Sewing machine drawers at an Antique Shop awhile back.

The smaller one was $5 and the larger one was $7. I went back and bought one more of each which is all that was there....

I dabbled a bit by painting and decoupaging them....

Here is Drawer # 1......

I used the Antique White paint that I used on the End Tables and China Cupboard that I refinished in the Den.....
I then distressed it by sanding it down ,applying Mahogany Gel Stain and then polishing it with Old English Furniture Polish......

I then used pages from an old book on Bible History ( don't worry, I did NOT rip up a Bible) and decoupaged the inside.....

I did the same treatment on this one but used music sheet paper for the inside....


I will show you where I am going to use these in a future post....
I am working on another project.....

You may have seen this one in my post on My Craft /Sewing Room......

I painted this one white and just sanded it to distress it and then used the music sheet paper inside....

And this is the 4th one....

I spray painted this one pink using a can of spray paint that Joe bought for 99 cents...

And just sanded it to distress it...



I decoupaged some scrap book paper inside...

It has now found a home also in my Craft Room on my Sewing table....

I think the pink color of the drawer looks good against the stark white table....

And you may remember that I was given 2 bird cages by a friend. I painted one of them yellow and now I painted the 2nd one pink with the same pink spray paint......
Here it is on one for the Shelves in my Craft Room....


Now I have shown you Joe's Pittsburgh Corner in our bedroom before and I mentioned that this is his only space in the house.

I am very lucky in that Joe does not care what I do in our home. I have recently read on some blogs about "husbands n0t being caught dead in a room like this" or "my husband would not like all those flowers and lace".
Well, I have to be honest.......

I am not used to such an attitude from Men.

My Dad built the 2 homes that my parents lived in once they were married but once they were built he NEVER told my mother what she could and could not do in those homes. He felt decorating was the "woman's" job and men should have no say in it.

Now don't get me wrong, my Mother worked full time from 16 years of age until the day my Dad passed away and she was 67 years old. My Dad was an excellent cook and baker and when he retired first, he had her dinner waiting for her when she came home!! So my Dad did not mean the woman should do the decorating in the sense of "The little Woman" who was Suzie Homemaker. He meant that women were and are better at decorating their homes than their husbands!!

And I wholeheartedly agree with my Dad!

Thank goodness I married a man that has the same attitude because I don't think I would be able to handle being told how I could decorate my own home.
You may not know it but I don't like being told that I can not do something. When that happens, you can rest assured that I am going to do it any way. It did used to get me in a bit of trouble at times....

BUT

I actually felt bad that Joe has only this one corner in the house.

So I thought I would do something a little special for him...

This is his dresser in our bedroom....

Many of you have told me that I am lucky to have him and I do realize that...

So I have been collecting these things from Flea Markets and Antique Shops for several months now and I decided that I would set up a "manly" display on his dresser....



The hats were worn when we dressed up for functions for the Victorian Society that I used to belong to held. They are displayed on old Home Interiors candlesticks....

The vintage pictures of "Men "came from an Antique Shop and were only $3.00 each.

I found this great graphic of "Hats and Caps" ( maybe on a blog, if it was yours, let me know so I can give you credit) so I decoupaged it onto Joe's wooden Jewelry Box that he has had since we were married...

I also decoupaged a map from the same Bible Study book ( that I used for one of the Sewing machine drawers) onto a plain bottle.....

The pocket watches and shaving brushes were picked up at various places for the past several years....
This vintage hand mirror and brush set was bought at a Flea Market....



The pipes and picture frames all came from flea markets....



This box , another flea market find, was just a black leather box. Again, I decoupaged the inside of it and filled it with more flea market treasures that I thought were "manly".

The gentleman hankerchief was a yard sale find....


And Joe has to have his coaster to put his change in.....

And a statue of his namesake, St. Joseph, the Patron Saint of Laborers

He was thrilled with this arrangement and now his dresser looks more "manly"!!

I thought it was the least I could do for him!!

Joe is back to work after being off for 9 weeks with his surgery.

It has been in the 90's here and he is not used to walking, delivering the mail all day. He is having a hard time but some of the people he delivers too are so kind and have been giving him Water and Gatorade .
PLEASE remember those that have to work outside in this heat and maybe make their day by offering them a cold drink.
They will really appreciate it because Joe definitely does!!

Now if you noticed, I have definitely developed a love affair with decoupage but I have always been a big fan of Spray Paint!!

I decided to use up some that I have had for awhile so I decided to spray paint a few things yellow.....

See the little chair candle holder??? It was white.....

When I took this picture above, I noticed something in one of the pots of flowers....

Do you see it?????

Look to the right inside the pot.....

Look to the left hand side of this picture.......

He is very green!!!!!


Now that is a great disguise, don't you think?

He blends right in with the begonia leaves....

This is my little attempt at a Fairy Garden.....

I spray painted the chair that was $1.00 at the Dollar store.

The little sand castle was 25 cents.

I already had the white stones and blue rocks and I bought the river rocks at A.C. Moore's for a buck!
The plants came out of my garden and the pot was a 25 cent yard sale find....

I also spray painted the candle holders which were white...


My flowers are doing well despite the heat but I do water them once a day. You can see that I also painted an old terra cotta candle holder yellow and placed it in a macrame holder, also 25 cents at a yard sale.....
The table was already yellow....

And finally , I have impatiens that haven't died on me......


My little Cottage Garden is surviving the heat.....

All of my begonias are doing spectacular........

Black Eyed Susans are now blooming....

My single Cone Flower plant is loaded with blooms....

Daisies are blooming....

Joe is back to doing the grocery shopping ( Thank God!) and found a few items on Clearance....

This cute rock was $6.00....

Love those birdies in the nest!!

And another Clearance buy was this sweet bird......

Do you see it???


Hiding behind the flowers....

It was only $4.00....

Joe also picked up a Solar bird at the same grocery store for $3.00 plus change...

At night....
Sorry it is a bit blurry...

And 2 Solar Butterflies were also the same price.....

During the day.....

Spectacular at night....



Here is the other Solar Butterfly....

Pretty during the day....

So much more prettier at night......

So that is what is new....

I am posting over on my Christmas blog, A Debbie-Dabble Christmas, celebrating Christmas in July along with some other bloggers. These bloggers are posting amazing things from craft ideas to recipes to great Christmas books to read and movies to watch!

I hope you will stop over and visit with me and then click on the list of the other bloggers on my Side Bar who are playing along with me to see what they have to share for Christmas in July!!

I am linking to these parties this week:

Homemaking Link Up Party
Fertilizer Friday
Home Sweet Home Friday
Show and Tell Friday
Potpourri Friday
Vintage Inspiration Friday
Thrifty Things Friday
Simple and Sweet Fridays
Tickled Pink Party

Hot Fun in the SummerTime Party

Pink Saturday

Seasonal Sunday
Sunday's Best

Masterpiece Monday
Mod Vintage Mix Monday
Metamorphosis Monday
Make It Pretty Monday
Mop It Up Mondays

Cowgirl Up! Creative Linky Party
Knick of Time Tuesday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Totally Transformed Tuesdays- new party!

All Star Blogger Block Party
Bunny Hop Party Every Wednesday
What's It Wednesday
Wow Us Wednesday
Outdoor Wednesday
Sizzle into Summer Party
Home is Where the Heart Is Wednesdays
Rednesday

Treasure Hunt Thursdays
Show Off Your Stuff Party on Thursdays
I Made This Party
Home and Garden Party Thursday
Share your Creations Thursday
Share Your Cup Thursday
Delightfully Inspiring Thursday
Vintage Thingie Thursday
Cottage Flora Thursday
Open House Party Thursday
Transformation Thursday
Inspired Creations Linky Party
Time Travel Thursday

Say G' Day Saturday Link party

Tabletop Tuesday


Please take some time to visit these terrific hosts and all those joining in on the fun!

Thanks so much for stopping by today and every day that you take the time to visit with me!

Hugs,
Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to read your comments and opinions!!
I will try to respond to your comment as quickly as I can either on your Blog, through an email address or here on the posts where you commented if I cannot find any other way to contact you!!
If you are a vendor and insist upon leaving a comment with a link back to a website, it will be deleted immediately as I check my comment several times a day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...